Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I believe Yany is introducing a full line of classical mouthpieces to complement, not replace, its standard hard rubber mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Those fine old Yanagisawa were some of the last produced by Riffault et Fils. I doubt that Yani is producing them today. Like in the past, they are contracted out to a mouthpiece producer. Having Yanagisawa suddenly produce mouthpieces would be a bit like your dentist also cutting your hair as long as you are already in the chair. Possible, but not likely for several reasons.

Mark

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suddenly? I don’t get it. Yanagisawa employees make mouthpieces right in the same plant where they build saxophones, and that is well documented. My question was whether or not the new classical design would replace the rubber jazz model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,903 Posts
I think there may be some confusion in the pieces being discussed here.
I assumed that those in question are the Yanagisawa HR pieces where the logo is etched on a Slant on the top.
Maybe the apparent connection to Riffault is with the earlier ones which had the Yanagisawa emblem only on the top.
But even that doesn’t seem to make sense to me as I have one of the earlier ones with only the emblem on it, and it is certainly not a Hard Rubber piece.
More likely a plastic or resin of some type.
I have also seen earlier pieces bearing only the logo which were Hard Rubber.
Did Riffault make resin/plastic pieces?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
The only thing I like to alter in a Yana Mouthpiece is in their metal ones. The wall at the base of the window U is too large IMO. Undercutting it frees up the sound without doing anything else.

·
7,903 Posts
I know Erik G has worked on some of the HR Baritone pieces to make nice Slant Link types of pieces.
Not sure exactly what he does to them, but the results are excellent.

·
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know Erik G has worked on some of the HR Baritone pieces to make nice Slant Link types of pieces.
Not sure exactly what he does to them, but the results are excellent.
I have one, and you're right, it's excellent. Erik opened mine to .115, enlarged the chamber to play better on my Conn, and he built up the baffle a little too. The mouthpieces Yanagisawa ships with their new horns are 5s, so a lot of people will have those opened up to a bigger tip. "Yanagisawa" is etched on the back of the mouthpiece body on a slant, so you can call it a Slant Yani.

·
7,903 Posts
I have one, and you're right, it's excellent. Erik opened mine to .115, enlarged the chamber to play better on my Conn, and he built up the baffle a little too. The mouthpieces Yanagisawa ships with their new horns are 5s, so a lot of people will have those opened up to a bigger tip. "Yanagisawa" is etched on the back of the mouthpiece body on a slant, so you can call it a Slant Yani.
Does he also scoop out the rails in these?
I had one on loan for a while but didn’t pay enough attention to what was actually done to the piece.

·
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does he also scoop out the rails in these?
I had one on loan for a while but didn’t pay enough attention to what was actually done to the piece.
I’m not sure. I think maybe the rails are already scooped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts