Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i'm about to buy a a991 from a private person. The sax is supposed to be brand new and never played. Can anyone here confirm if the parts the case come in sealed plastic bags?
Just wan't to be shure that it's not a used/demo instrument.

Finn

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
That wouldn't actually make much difference to me. Even if sealed bags are opened, it could still be unplayed, or it might have been mechanically checked over, set up and play tested by the retailer (quite common) so even if that is the case, and there is a full warrantee, then it could have a "new" value.

In some cases, customs need access, but in that case there may well be a sticker somewhere saying it had been opened by customs.

But OTOH, once the saxophone is no longer being sold by the retailer, ie a private person bought it and is selling it on without a warrantee, then it is a second hand instrument with a lower price. The important thing about a new instrument is the retailer's or manufacturer's warrantee. If it's being sold without that, then it's used IMO and the price should reflect that.

These are things you should be aware of, not just sealed bags. Sorry i can't answer the actual question though, but most new horns I've seen come in bags that are not sealable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
+1 on Pete's reply. Personally, I would not want a new saxophone or clarinet that hadn't been "shop-checked' before the sale. Even as good as Yanagisawa may be "out of the box", they all need to be checked - and maybe even adjusted. DAVE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks..
Your probably right. It occurred to me that issue maybe could be a starting point for a price negotiation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm from Denmark so prices are quite different (higher) here, compared to US prices. The price is about 90% of a new one, but there's a long waiting period, if I buy it in a shop.

·
32,939 Posts
Hmmm, a paradox perched on the horns of a dilema...

I'd say play it and if you like it, buy it. But what if you play it and don't like it - then it is no longer unplayed...

What draws you to consider buying this sax if you haven't played one?

·
32,939 Posts
.... double post

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
I'm from Denmark so prices are quite different (higher) here, compared to US prices. The price is about 90% of a new one, but there's a long waiting period, if I buy it in a shop.
That seems expensive, but if you like it and can't knock them, and it's the best horn for you then you could consider it as there is a waiting list. It depends how desperately you want it. Have you checked whether any stores will give you a discount on a new one?

I agree with Dr G, I would want to play it, so it would need to come out of it's wrapping anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why is a private seller selling an unplayed instrument?

Like others, I reckon the only issue to consider is whether or not you're getting a valid, current warranty on it. If the warranty is there, but time started ticking a while ago (when it originally left the retailer), that's probably ground for negotiating on price.

I would just take that into account and make an offer that you think is reasonable. If it's a new horn with full warranty and didn't fall off the back of a truck, 90% of retails sounds like an OK deal.

As a prospective owner, it's really not going to make much of a difference to you even if the horn's been played for 100 hours. The Yanagisawa's are so well put together that a few hours prior playing time isn't going change its value to you.

·
32,939 Posts
Why is a private seller selling an unplayed instrument?

Like others, I reckon the only issue to consider is whether or not you're getting a valid, current warranty on it. If the warranty is there, but time started ticking a while ago (when it originally left the retailer), that's probably ground for negotiating on price.
Check that. Most warranties are not transferable - only good to the original owner. If the person selling it is not an authorized dealer, they cannot give you a factory warranty.

·
2,077 Posts
I think it's unrealistic to expect a new hor to NEVER HAVE BEEN PLAYED. A new horn in a store may have been played a few times by different people and still be a "new horn".

·
Registered
881 Posts
Here in Norway I have not even found any shop that sells Yanagisawas. But, some time back I ordered a Yanagisawa (A992) from www.matthewsmuziek.nl in Netherlands. They have good prices and shipped very quickly. I think, with new Yanagisawas, they are so consistant in quality that the general rule of "always try before you buy" does not apply as much as for other brands and vintage ones.

·
14,268 Posts
I agree that if ANY horn would be good right out of the box, it would be a new Yanagisawa. I also know that Matthews shop-checks all of their horns before they ship.

Yes, we all urge buyers to test first, but frankly, that is almost impossible especially in today's world where local music stores cater to students and few stores have a decent selection of pro-line instruments. If you are going to test before buying, the preferred way would be to compare a number of the same model, again almost impossible these days.

I have purchased several instruments sight-unseen (many from Matthews) based on reputation OR my desire to buy the thing - and testing be damned. For those who can carry the freight, Yanagisawas are among the best risks for a non-tested purchase. I still want the dealer to test it before it is shipped to me. DAVE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts