Sax on the Web Forum banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
... I was planning on using an amp with a wireless connection.You can get a transmitter-receiver pair for under $50 for guitar that will work fine with the YDS-150.
Yes, this is what I do with my Akai EWI Solo. I got a wireless guitar pair. I put the receiver into a rechargeable battery powered speaker (Samson Expedition Escape) or one of my powered QSC speakers and I've got plenty of volume. I can also use the wireless pair with my Aerophone AE-10.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two more questions. I see on the pix that the Octave keys on the YDS are similar to the AE-10, Am I correct? and also, Does the YDS-150 has MIDI output?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Two more questions. I see on the pix that the Octave keys on the YDS are similar to the AE-10, Am I correct? and also, Does the YDS-150 has MIDI output?
I don't have an AE. The octave key has two directions, up and low A. It does not go down an octave like the WX5.

The YDS-150 has MIDI output via USB. Someone mentioned a converter to use with a sound module. I can't verify that it would work, but that would be nice if it did. There is a particularity, too, in that the YDS-150 uses "expression" for the midi volume level. Here's a video I did demoing the YDS-150 midi. The first minute is audio via USB to Logic. The second is a generai Hammond organ sound, MIDI via USB.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
I see on the pix that the Octave keys on the YDS are similar to the AE-10, Am I correct?
I don't have an AE. The octave key has two directions, up and low A. It does not go down an octave like the WX5
I don't have a YDS but I do have an AE-10. The octave key on the AE-10 has 2 octave positions up and 2 octave positions down. It also goes to the right and left sides which are for assignable parameters (CC1–95, or different harmonies). From what I've read, that is very different from the YDS octave key. As randulo says, the YDS octave key goes up 1 octave (like a real sax) and the down position is for low A, not a lower octave.

Edit: On my Akai EWI Solo, the octave "keys" are rollers which have a 7 octave range. The AE-10 octave key has a 5 octave range. The YDS has 2 octaves, like a real sax.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did like the way the WX5 works, with two or three octaves (been a while, I can't recall). The analog controller of the YDS is something to get used to, but it can be effective. I use it only for pitch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,594 Posts
The WX5 has a 7 octave range with the clever octave keys. IMO it's the best wind MIDI controller ever. Too bad they abandoned it.

Of course you don't need that for a sax patch, but if playing pure synth patches they can come in handy.

On the other hand, it's nice to extend sax patches into altissimo using an octave key and the much quicker regular fingerings. And the physical modeling software of the Yamaha VL series synth modules (also abandoned) allow for many of the sax nuances we take for granted on our acoustic horns.

Notes

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, my WX5 still works, and a few years ago I bought a replacement "reed" for it. I agree, I wish it had been developed and improved, it has a lot of great features. Unfortunately, it's not convenient with its cable and sound module setup, otherwise, it's a very nice instrument in its class.

What I like about the YDS is that if I have an idea, or if I want to lay down a quick track to replace later with the alto, I pick it up, push the button and that's that. When I bought the WX5, I didn't have a DAW, so the whole VL7 was necessary. Now, I can go either audio or MIDI in the DAW, making things easier.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is my YDS-150 wireless setup. I already owned a transmit-receive pair for guitar, so what I needed was a cable that had a 1/8" male stereo plug at one end for the YDS headphone jack and a 1/4" phone jack at the other, to plug the transmitter in. I chose a longer cable to also work when wireless wasn't needed.

The Ammoon Wireless Guitar System has worked well for me. The cable is similar to this adapter but it's longer, as I said. I got all of this on Amazon France, but I can't find the same cable on the USA site. I haven't tested this for any length of time, but I use the guitar pair almost every day in the "studio" and it works very well.

281 - 288 of 288 Posts