241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,805 Posts
No problem, non c’è di che scusarsi ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've found an old smartphone with Android 7.0 and searched in the Playstore.
Can not found the "YDS Controller" app because, I think, it's not compatible

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,805 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
The language of music is hard to master. As I've been recording a lot with this plastic sax-shaped tube, I hope you won't mind me sharing this from today. For me -- and maybe only me -- I think one of the best applications of the instrument so far, is in this chromatic harmonica-sounding genre. If you happen to want to play something that has that vibe, it's pretty good.

https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fit-never-entered-my-mind-yds-150
There have been questions about the lack of rollers. I never noticed until it was mentioned. The feel is very close to real saxophone. I wish the analog controller could do 50 cents instead of 1 tone or more. It would make fall and scoops more realistic. And for the love of whatever is dear, get rid of that automatic vibrato. I wish I could tell them directly that in the next update, fix those two things.

·
Registered
534 Posts
And for the love of whatever is dear, get rid of that automatic vibrato.
I am glad it is just not me. That automatic vibrato is driving me nuts!!!

Apart from that, i like this plastic thing. It will never replace my real horns but it is very convenient when you live in an apartment like me. I can play any time of the day and night.

Reactions: randulo

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello to all
do you think it is possible to connect this instrument to a bluetooth amplified speaker?
Thanks
To my limited knowledge, I don't think it will output audio to a bluetooth speaker. I would love to be wrong about that! Bluetooth speaker may introduce delay, though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Having said this, some BT speakers have 1/8" inputs so you could do it over cable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do hope if anyone sees documentation about the YDS-150, especially about MIDI or bluetooth which they baremy ùention in the "manual" they will post it here. There are now a million demos besides the dozen or so I've made, for better or worse. The sounds, well, you can't have everything. I think I've found the two or three decent ones. Add external effects and there's a few things you can do. But the tech end, we need someone to write "YDS-150 for Dummies", although none of us are.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My goal is to run this through my SWAM sax engines / Abelton. If i ever get mine (they tell me Dec 9th now) I will let everyone know how it works. This is how i used my Aerophone Go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I got mine on Monday just gone and I can't get the app to work no matter how many times I've installed and uninstalled it, pressed the Fn button and Eb key and ^ button and it still doesn't connect. Also connected it with a micro USB cable and still nothing. Here's the screenshots of the app which is doing nothing and I can't even find any troubleshooting info that might help get it working.

Screenshot_20201114-184905.jpg Screenshot_20201114-184914.jpg Screenshot_20201114-184923.jpg Screenshot_20201114-184933.jpg Screenshot_20201114-191755.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
Following this thread, it seems clear to me that Yamaha released this new product long before it was market-ready.

Reactions: Ivancillo

·
3,112 Posts
Let's hope the YDS-150, like the Roland AE-10, can have its software upgraded by a functioning and user friendly (ie. to technophobes like myself) programme should they take on board the criticisms. As well as more and much better voices.

·
3,112 Posts
The main criticism I have of the action is all keys operate as open-standing keys where any given note only starts when the keys are at their full travel.

That makes the action of the closed-standing keys a bit clumsy or laboured when you normally expect the note to start as soon as the keys are touched and not only when they reach their full travel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
The main criticism I have of the action is all keys operate as open-standing keys where any given note only starts when the keys are at their full travel.

That makes the action of the closed-standing keys a bit clumsy or laboured when you normally expect the note to start as soon as the keys are touched and not only when they reach their full travel.
I want to understand what this does to the playing action, to the feel of playing. Does this mean that you feel a slight lag in the notes sounding? Or does it just mean that you have to adjust your style to firmly press the keys down?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got mine on Monday just gone and I can't get the app to work no matter how many times I've installed and uninstalled it, pressed the Fn button and Eb key and ^ button and it still doesn't connect.
I hear you! I had a lot of trouble with this, but I think there's a flaw in the manual. I believe someone here gave the sequence and included the part they don't mention. Something like you need to keep holding one of the keys.

After holding Fn and C, are you seeing the b-- pairing indication? If so I think you may need to keep Fn the C key pressed for the next step?

By the way, you must be like me and Dave Sanborn- we think in concert, right? The manual refers to the C key which indeed sounds a Eb on alto.

Yes, it's not a saxophone and this is one of those "little" differences you have to get over. For example the Bb to B using LH1 and RH1,2, 3 or any combination does not allow the nuance of a slide up. It switches like the software it is.

In the never-ending saga, I'd also like to report that I feel practicing is valid on this instrument, especially if you improvise. I think this is because it won't help much with exercises because, yes, have I said this before? It's not a saxophone. As others have said, it won't do breath control or intonation. BUT, for improvising, composing, and ideas, it's great. No one hears you trying out crazy stuff, but you. And as you try new things, you hear it and so familiarize yourself with your new stuff. Works for me.

Finally, if anyone from Yamaha is reading any of these, PLEASE make vibrato an option. Nothing sounds worse than machine vibrato that kicks in after a short delay on long notes.

241 - 260 of 288 Posts