Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Yamaha synthetic reeds? Looks like only alto, tenor, and clarinet reeds so far, and limited strengths ( 2 1/2, 3, and 3 1/2. I don't even know if they are available in the United States.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,625 Posts
Hey, wasn't aware, curious to check them. Thanks for the hint. The challenge will be to find them in tiny Switzerland.

Reactions: BrianMitchellBrody

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Interesting price point at 15 (alto/clarinet) or 17 (tenor) euros! Unfortunately they seem to be optimised (whatever that means in this context) for Yamaha 4C. But 3,5 is hardly a beginner´s strength, is it?
"The Yamaha 4C mouthpiece has relatively shorter facing and smaller tip opening, enabling beginners to produce sounds more easily. Therefore, 3 or 3 1/2 will fit most."

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have had the unfortunate experience of buying some of these. They are dreadful IMO. Hard as rocks, exorable sound. Even on the closest alto piece I have in my drawer, a Vandoren AL3, the 2.5 was very hard and unresponsive.
Very peculiar construction: the part of the reed that would on a cane reed be under the bark is slightly raised, giving a small step into the part beneath the vamp. This means that the reed cannot possible sit flat on the table of the mouthpiece at the point where it blends into the facing.
I am bewildered because I am generally a Yamaha fan. Are they trying to cash in on the interest in Venn reeds? Who knows. If you want my advice, avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I have had the unfortunate experience of buying some of these. They are dreadful IMO. Hard as rocks, exorable sound. Even on the closest alto piece I have in my drawer, a Vandoren AL3, the 2.5 was very hard and unresponsive.
Very peculiar construction: the part of the reed that would on a cane reed be under the bark is slightly raised, giving a small step into the part beneath the vamp. This means that the reed cannot possible sit flat on the table of the mouthpiece at the point where it blends into the facing.
I am bewildered because I am generally a Yamaha fan. Are they trying to cash in on the interest in Venn reeds? Who knows. If you want my advice, avoid them like the plague.
Wow, if these are aimed at beginners they sound like a good way to discourage someone from continuing to learn.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I love Yamaha horns, but I would be wary of reeds from them. Why not go with Legere reeds? I've had plenty of success playing Legere reeds on saxophones and clarinets.
The reason I gave the Yamaha reeds a whirll was because I've been experimenting with Legere and Venn recently. Legere are good, but the Venn are really good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason I gave the Yamaha reeds a whirll was because I've been experimenting with Legere and Venn recently. Legere are good, but the Venn are really good.
Hmmm... I may just have to give Venn reeds a shot. I'm still a Vandoren guy at heart, especially on the classical side, but the synth reeds are so great when doubling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
7,823 Posts
Perhaps they are intended for the Venova or similar devices?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts