Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Great playing and beautiful fat and warm tone! Did you have the horn modified or is the keywork still original?

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Sounding good Sivari. :)

Is this the same NW I horn I saw you playing at Pavlov in Den Haag a few months ago?

And how do you feel about the different key work and intonation corrections of the Conn compared to your Mark VI?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is the same one. That was the first time I played it and this the second time. In between I was playing a 1935 Ladyface, but that one had to go to the repairman.
I also have a 1932 Transitional with Ladyface (that I'm going to sell). The tuning on the Conns is as good as on my VI, maybe just a bit different. On the Transitional it is even better than on the VI.
The keywork on the NW1 you have to get used to, also on the Transitional, but the 10m is really comfortable.

Sounding good Sivari. :)

Is this the same NW I horn I saw you playing at Pavlov in Den Haag a few months ago?

And how do you feel about the different key work and intonation corrections of the Conn compared to your Mark VI?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Wow! Smooth band members, love the Black & white video. Nice artistic touch. Your playing is spot on, really enjoyable music.
That is a tenor and not an C melody correct? Just had to ask.
Thank you for sharing.
PS🐷

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That was a real treat Sivari, excellent playing by everyone and the acoustics were beautifullly captured! One of my favorite Shorter tunes too.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Wow.
You must have quite the ear to feel like the tuning on these horns are not different from a M6.
I've not played any of the vintage conns, but everyone says they are more difficult to play in tune than more modern instruments.
Modern instruments being the M6 to current corns...

Great performance from the entire band and a great sound from you on the horn.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Musefound!

Tuning is different, but not necessary more difficult....the piano is also a bit out of tune so maybe that was my luck..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So whats the real deal with these horns. Matt Stohrer has a video on the NW I and he says to stay away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfS0tnmqoyg&t=4s

I find his recommendation strange as I see many pros playing these horns. Troy Roberts, Tivon Penticot, Walter Blanding, Charles Lloyd, Joe Lovano at one point as well. Also, I have a friend that has a 10M but likes his NW better. Says it's lighter and sounds better.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'm in the market for a horn and am looking at a 106xxx NWI in silverpate, with brass on inside if bell, that has been overhauled by Emilio Lyons here in Boston.

A question to the OP, does your horn have the rounded G#, the little round Eb palm key and a bis key that is hard to reach? If so, did it take some time to get used to those key touches or did you modify them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts