Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have almost completed the restoration on My 20' Conn Bari.As I was dry fitting the upper stack I couldn't resist giving her a try.Very cool, much improved tone and very in tune on lower notes, hit the octave key, 25 cents sharp.This is with the vintage streamline, maybe a 40's Bundy. I had better intonation before taking all the dents out of the upper loop.Also all tone holes are now leveled and leak free.From previous suggestions I feel I should work on my Bari embouchure to see if I can tame this mp.I am still a beginner on Bari and my mp's on Tenor and Alto are very slim,Runyon Custom's.Any thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,265 Posts
There's a ton of info on this site regarding these horns and their intonational quirks. Just search for my posts with the word "pickle-barrel". No modern mouthpiece is going to work unless it has a vintage, bass-like sized chamber and/or an extended shank. Forget Runyon. Been there, done that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hold on there, pardners....

The horn was relatively in-tune on the lower register, but the upper reg went sharp.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-shaaaarp-!!!!&highlight=upper+register+sharp

May not be the mouthpiece... although in my experience a change in m'piece may mask the dynamic a bit...but that old Bundy should be a relatively large-chambered one, no ?
The Bundy is a large chamber,still curious about the change to the upper loop.Would removing dents have any effect on tuning ? I do notice the MP is pulled back more almost falling off. I do have the luxury of trying a friends Conn Eagle (Pickle barrel from 20's I believe)

You can see in picture the rough loop if you zoom in,the old cork shows where the Bundy was playing before overhaul,it is at least a 1/2" out now.

Attachments

·
19,007 Posts
Are you familiar with these particular horns?
Nope, not quite that old...although I have played some Trannys.

I don't dis' anyone else's thoughts or suggestions, here...

...it's pretty solidly established that older BigHorns didn't quite have it quite down in the intonation dept.; so a '20's one could certainly just be that way.

But I just wanted to point out that there are some other possibilities. People often drop $ into an oldie and the start kicking the wall when, after all of that, the intonation is off and they cannot seem to correct it w/a m'piece.

They become convinced that it's pretty much all over....but they fail to cover some of the technical adjustments that can still be made to the horn, is all.....

I see this all the time; so just wanted to suggest a stone or two which which still may remain unturned.....:flower:

·
19,007 Posts
The Bundy is a large chamber,still curious about the change to the upper loop.Would removing dents have any effect on tuning ? I do notice the MP is pulled back more almost falling off. I do have the luxury of trying a friends Conn Eagle (Pickle barrel from 20's I believe)

You can see in picture the rough loop if you zoom in,the old cork shows where the Bundy was playing before overhaul,it is at least a 1/2" out now.
Yes, correcting upper bow/crook dents will alter the intonation if they were very bad...and IF the horn had been adjusted to play closer 'in tune' when the dents were there...removing them would mean you'd have to re-regulate some things.

Regarding mouthpiece placement...pulling out on a Conn (I was about to write "pulling out on an old Tranny"...:tsk:.hehehe) is nothing all that uncommon....

·
19,007 Posts
Yes, indeedy - I have read that; and have certainly experienced it with other makes of that same era. I believe, one of the most memorable comments....if I may quote YOU, was..."old Conns reject newer mouthpieces like a bad liver transplant".
(...if I remember that correctly. :bluewink:)

Thing is, the one JusttheSax used on the horn was an old mouthpiece...not a contemporary one (I dunno what the chamber is, however I am assuming even an old-school streamlined one wasn't as narrow as a current Runyon or such. I have streamlined old Baritone m'pieces which are nice and wide in the chamber...although they wouldn't seem it from lookin' at 'em).

I am just thinking, if a big mo'fo chamber m'piece doesn't alleviate the situation...one would have to focus elsewhere for a solution. Hope the m'piece change does it, because it can be a bit of a needle in a haystack, sometimes.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being a novice Bari player and in it for the fun of it,(is a fun horn to play).

I will see how it plays as my chops develop.The vintage piece is way fatter than my Runyon Tenor piece and chamber is very large.The opening is .78 BTW,I am getting some squeaking, am I biting too hard on it ? I am also wondering if I should try a different reed ? I am using a Rico Plasticover 2.5. may try a Legere 2 1/4 .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,605 Posts
Even with a decent mouthpiece match, they'll still blow a bit sharp around E2-F#2. Not too hard to lip down though, relatively speaking.
Exactly my experience. I have owned 1915 and 1917's (both silver plated), and still own 1923 and 1924 (gold plated) Conn baris. All have had this intonation tendency with a well matched mouthpiece, but all were close enough to be able to adjust pitch.

I found the Erik G double chamber to work best on them, with some old pickle barrel pieces decent on intonation, just not great on overall sound (most were very stuffy sounding).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.