Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my friend my Rovner Light lig that came with my Guardala MBII LT mouthpiece. He insists that it isn't real leather, whereas his that came with his Guardala Super King LT 3-4 years ago is geniune leather. Is he right?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I doubt that he is right. As far as I know ALL Rovner ligatures are made from FABRIC, not leather. I will be interested to see if anyone knows if leather was once the material used. I've had Rovners for a long time and they are all fabric even though some look like leather.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I doubt that he is right. As far as I know ALL Rovner ligatures are made from FABRIC, not leather. I will be interested to see if anyone knows if leather was once the material used. I've had Rovners for a long time and they are all fabric even though some look like leather.
Not true, my Rovner Dark is made of leather and is quite new (only a year old). As to the authenticity of it or grade, I have no idea.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Not true, my Rovner Dark is made of leather and is quite new (only a year old).
That's very odd, all the Rovner Darks I have seen are made from a synthetic material. I've never seen a leather Rovner.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That's very odd, all the Rovner Darks I have seen are made from a synthetic material. I've never seen a leather Rovner.
It may be this synthetic material and not leather, but it does seem like leather to me. My mistake, but the point is that not all Rovners are made of fabric.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
It may be this synthetic material and not leather, but it does seem like leather to me. My mistake, but the point is that not all Rovners are made of fabric.
Yes, the dark I have is a synthetic leather looking fabric. It's true they aren't all fabric ,there is a metal one now (the Platinum) but all the others I've seen are fabric.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
So I happen to have a Rovner Dark from around 1980 that is still on my Link STM. It looks like leather from the topside, but if I look at the underside, I can see the clear pattern of fabric underneath. So I have no idea whether it is leather or fake leather bonded on top of a fabric base? More recent examples of Rovners have mostly been fabric, front and back, but I do have one Rovner Light that is sized for my Selmer soprano metal mpc that similar to the one from 1980, and this ligature was bought from WWBW only last year, along with other Rovners that were all fabric. So I'm guessing that they made them in batches using both types of material interchangeably, but I would guess all the new production has gone to the full fabric look.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I don't think you'd want a lig that is "screw-tight" style made out of leather. Even fairly heavy leather eventually works in and stretches. These Rovner ligs are made on pretty tight tolerances that's why they make so many different sizes. I can't help but think that if they were made of leather they would eventually stretch out from use and no longer hold the reed properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.