Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand this may be a very subjective topic, but I am looking at a few different things now for buying a new sax...
So, I was looking for cheap tenors in the sub-$1000 range, but I got to try out a cannonball and I LOVED the way it played.
I actually haven't tried a vintage horn yet but that is where I was looking.
So which do you think I would have a better playing experience on, a new horn, cannonball I suppose, or something along the lines
of maybe a conn pan am or something similar?

(yes, I know new saxes cost a lot more)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I mean, I kind of did a bad job, but the question that I wanted to get at was, should I just go with a sub-$1000 vintage or used sax, or try and save up for a more expensive new one.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,965 Posts
Same answer really. You get a better deal with a used one, but you have to want *that* sax, or it isn't the deal you want.

There are lots of inexpensive saxes out there that might make you happy. YOU have to decide though.

dsm

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,359 Posts
You need to go play some vintage horns and get experience with them. Some players love them, some don't. Form your own opinion after playing some. That is far more important than the opinions of those of us who respond.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,359 Posts
I have both vintage (Buescher, Conn) and new (Yamaha, Yani) saxes. In my limited experience, the good vintage horns are pretty well known, or easily investigated, so it's hard to find a good deal. I was pretty lucky in finding an old Aristocrat Series 1 alto for very little, but it of course needed a full overhaul. The ones in good shape can be pricey, from what I've seen posted here. I have played a few vintage horns in really awful shape, and could not get much if anything out of them. They would have cost a lot to fix up. I'm no expert on vintage saxes, but I got really lucky a few times (and did a little research here at SOTW along the way, which helped).

Still, I do prefer the ergonomics of the new horns. And sometimes you can find a good used sub-$1000 tenor for sale, if you are willing to go for a used but non-vintage sax (or something in-between). You might be able to get an older pro horn that still sounds and plays as it ever did, but at a much lower price.

As others have said, it's up to you to decide what matters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My experience with them is limited, but I tried a few vintage horns. The thing that struck me was a certain amount of volatility. That is, the intonation seemed to rest a little more with the player on vintage horns than with the new ones. At least the ones I tried. The Mark VI alto for example. I couldn't hit that sweet center with some of the notes. Whereas, with a little perseverance, my more skilled friend was able to adjust his embouchure etal to the peculiarities of the horn. I didn't have that problem with a new YAS-62, for example. Perhaps there were other variables of which I was unaware. But the horns were supposed to have been tuned. I would welcome some comments/corrections from the better players on this point.

ps- Wow, I almost forgot the point: That is, if my premise is correct, then your skill level would be an important consideration in deciding "New vs Vintage". If my premise is NOT correct, then put me in a canoe without a paddle, never more to stain the hallowed halls of SOTW. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My experience with them is limited, but I tried a few vintage horns. The thing that struck me was a certain amount of volatility. That is, the intonation seemed to rest a little more with the player on vintage horns than with the new ones. At least the ones I tried. The Mark VI alto for example. I couldn't hit that sweet center with some of the notes. Whereas, with a little perseverance, my more skilled friend was able to adjust his embouchure etal to the peculiarities of the horn. I didn't have that problem with a new YAS-62, for example. Perhaps there were other variables of which I was unaware. But the horns were supposed to have been tuned. I would welcome some comments/corrections from the better players on this point.

ps- Wow, I almost forgot the point: That is, if my premise is correct, then your skill level would be an important consideration in deciding "New vs Vintage". If my premise is NOT correct, then put me in a canoe without a paddle, never more to stain the hallowed halls of SOTW. :)
I would call myself a rather experienced played, but I never really got around to upgrading my setup until recently, I will probably get the cannonball big bell pro series, just because I can finance it where I live
and I loved playing on it.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,359 Posts
I will probably get the cannonball big bell pro series...
and I loved playing on it.
And that is the only thing that really matters! So what are you waiting for? Once you find the horn you love, it doesn't really matter how SOTW member weigh in on it. :)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Well I mean, I kind of did a bad job, but the question that I wanted to get at was, should I just go with a sub-$1000 vintage or used sax, or try and save up for a more expensive new one.
Or how about a used modern horn?

·
Registered
535 Posts
For the price of a new Cannonball they may have some amazing horns that are slightly used. Selmer? Yanagisawa? Yamaha? There are many great choices.
I'm one of those people that love both vintage and modern saxophones.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is the question new vs used or modern vs vintage? As with many other things, you pay a premium to be the first owner so buying used can be great. The question of modern vs vintage is a different issue. You can spend $8000 on a Mark VI tenor or $1000 on a Conn stencil. You might find a used Yamaha or a new Kessler but I would say if you can afford the cannonball and loved it, go for it. A good horn is a good horn, end of story. There's a lot to be said for being able to play the horn before you buy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
In May, I bought a used Vito/Yamaha (YTS-23), on an Ebay 'Buy It Now' for $600. I did a lot of research, a lot of comparison shopping, and got lucky, getting a horn in nearly mint condition, that played great, out of the box. Good used horns are out there.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
For the price of a new Cannonball they may have some amazing horns that are slightly used. Selmer? Yanagisawa? Yamaha? There are many great choices.
I'm one of those people that love both vintage and modern saxophones.
Or for half the price of a new Cannonball you can get an amazing horn… like a used Cannonball.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or for half the price of a new Cannonball you can get an amazing horn… like a used Cannonball.
Well the thing about it is, is that the only reason I am getting it, is because #1, I love it, and #2 I can finance it from a store near me, I figured, if I really love it,
and I can finance it, then there really is no down side, other than interest, but I don't care, as long as it means I get to play a horn that I love without out dishing
out several hundred dollars at once

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well the thing about it is, is that the only reason I am getting it, is because #1, I love it, and #2 I can finance it from a store near me, I figured, if I really love it,
and I can finance it, then there really is no down side, other than interest, but I don't care, as long as it means I get to play a horn that I love without out dishing
out several hundred dollars at once
However, by buying new, you will dish out several hundred dollars extra over time. There is a down side - if you buy new and later sell it, you will lose, big time. Better to buy a used horn in good condition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts