Sax on the Web Forum banner

new vintage otto link vs STM - differences?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hamilton 
#1 ·
what are the deferences between these two pieces? sorry if this has already been asked aswell...

#2 ·
It is an interesting question that most people dont pose because one is metal and the other HR. However, I would say the NVS is closer to a STM than it is a Tone Edge. Still it is considerably different. It remains more spread and has a different core...not bigger or smaller, just different in a way I cant express other than a HR type of core. I dont believe it is because of the material, more because of the wider chamber shape and the way it makes you open your mouth wider to play.

#3 ·
Unless he meant the New Vintage "Tone Master" metal pieces - in which case, the "Tone Master" is much darker and rounder sounding than the STM due to the significantly larger chamber. The NVTMs also have a different shank (which I and many others find to fit rather tightly on the neck cork but that's not that big of a deal) that was intended to replicate the look of the original Otto Link Tone Master. FWIW I much prefer the NVTM to the STM.

#5 ·
Old thread but I'd like to know as well if anybody dumped their STM in favor of the new vintage tonemaster (metal only, not interested in HR) . I just tried one locally and it was much nicer than my STM of mid 80's vintage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.