Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a new video for you, and it's a new style of video for me- "vlog" type if you will. It shows everything that went into performing at the King's Theater in Brooklyn, NY with the great Israeli pop sensation Gad Elbaz. I show you some of the traveling, rehearsing, backstage stuff, and show clips. Let me know if I should do more of these videos for my gigs- it was a lot of fun to create!

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,826 Posts
That was so well done! So enjoyable to watch.

Congrats for all those good things that come your way. You deserve it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Loved it!...send more!... soon.... today.....

Congrats to you for reaching a point in your career where gigs like this happen for you

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
:cheers:

·
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was so well done! So enjoyable to watch.

Congrats for all those good things that come your way. You deserve it.
Thanks brother! Much appreciated.

Ha! Nice send-up of the Casey Neistat inspired lifestyle videos that everyone is making now.
Hahah, everyone loves them so I figured why not! I don't see a ton of people making gig vlogs, especially not videos of traveling, rehearsing, and backstage stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Very cool! :headbang:

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
I assume it is ok but......are you sure it is ok with Gad to be videoing yourself during the gig? I guess I was thinking if I was paying musicians to perform and I looked back and a guy was taking selfies it would kind of bother me. But maybe that is part of the world we are part of nowadays. It was entertaining! Thanks, Steve

·
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume it is ok but......are you sure it is ok with Gad to be videoing yourself during the gig? I guess I was thinking if I was paying musicians to perform and I looked back and a guy was taking selfies it would kind of bother me. But maybe that is part of the world we are part of nowadays. It was entertaining! Thanks, Steve
He's totally fine with it! I definitely wouldn't do it if he wasn't. The first few gigs I played with him I didn't film anything, but other people were. In fact for this one the only time I really took the camera off the stand was when towards the end of the show. Other than that it was either propped up or I only picked it up for a quick second while we were in the dark.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hahah, everyone loves them so I figured why not! I don't see a ton of people making gig vlogs, especially not videos of traveling, rehearsing, and backstage stuff.
It's obvious that you have seen the Bob Reynolds vlogs in which he gigs, travels, rehearses and does backstage stuff. I just assumed this was a parody of that, in line with other videos you've made in that vein. In any event, this gig must be a trip and you're clearly having a fun time. Good to see.

·
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's obvious that you have seen the Bob Reynolds vlogs in which he gigs, travels, rehearses and does backstage stuff. I just assumed this was a parody of that, in line with other videos you've made in that vein. In any event, this gig must be a trip and you're clearly having a fun time. Good to see.
Hahah! I have over 90 videos on my channel, and most of them aren't joke videos if you can believe that! I like to keep people on their toes :)

Also yes I've seen his, but he's one of the only ones doing it. I watch TONS of YouTube and there are 1000s of vlog channels, but a surprisingly low number of music-related ones. Glad you enjoyed!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Looks like it was a lot of fun - thanks for doing it. I've played several festival-type gigs in front of a few hundred people but have no misconceptions about my skill level and knowing I'll never be called in to play a gig with a big-name traveling act. It's fun to be able to have that experience vicariously. Having grown-up in North Jersey I've spent my time on the Turnpike and Parkway (and still do when I go back to visit friends & family) so I've had that experience. Did they put you up someplace in the City between the rehearsal and gig or did you have to make that trip twice? Also, did they provide you with the iPad, mic and IEMs or was that your stuff? Just wondering what the expectations are for something like this in terms of gear outside of your horn/setup.

Absolutely not. I got a big fat stack of these instead!!! He said "you're a jazz musician so I'm sure you're wallet already has a bunch of these in it." Wooo!!

View attachment 181906
We use the term "band bucks" to refer to this currency that is largely comprised of karma, goodwill, exposure, and the like. Not much use for buying stuff in the real world but you trade them in for forgiveness for missing a rehearsal or a gig you originally agreed to but now can't make, getting the guitar player to pivot his amp slightly so it isn't blasting you directly in the back of the head, or copping a few more inches of space for your gear on a tight stage.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I also enjoyed the video - it reminds me so much of some of my own gigs and all the stuff around and I think I'm not the only one here sharing this experience. Of course it's self-evident in a way but it still feels kind of connectional that a musician's life is quite similar all over the world. Thanks for making it and next time please make sure to let us all know what you had for breakfast the day after! :)

Best regards from overseas
Jo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts