Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Back with a new video. For some reason this song gets a lot of hate and I don't know why. It's one of the most famous and well-known jazz songs of all time, and is a staple in any big band repertoire. Here's my take on it - let me know what you think!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Once again, your improvisation skills have been demonstrated !

Wait... I am confused... maybe it was your sarcasm skills... whatever, nicely done !

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
687 Posts
Ooooooooooh, yeeeeaaaah, uuuuuuuuuummmm, I'm sooooooo in the mood now, that was so saxy! You're such a songbird, Dave!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
But I don't understand why you hurried through the signature phrase of the tune. I think you would want to LINGERRRRRR on it.

Or, maybe that would be LINGER- R- R- R- R- R- R- R-...

Of course, in the slightly more serious vein, anyone who's spent any time in the big band trenches knows that audiences go absolutely ape-you-know-what for this tune, even though the musicians can basically play the thing with one hand (sax players too) while simultaneously checking the day's box scores.

What can I say? It's the Mustang Sally of the swing dance crowd.

Does anyone know of a different arrangement besides the Joe Garland stock and the Tyzik Tonight Show version?

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But I don't understand why you hurried through the signature phrase of the tune. I think you would want to LINGERRRRRR on it.

Or, maybe that would be LINGER- R- R- R- R- R- R- R-...

Of course, in the slightly more serious vein, anyone who's spent any time in the big band trenches knows that audiences go absolutely ape-you-know-what for this tune, even though the musicians can basically play the thing with one hand (sax players too) while simultaneously checking the day's box scores.

What can I say? It's the Mustang Sally of the swing dance crowd.

Does anyone know of a different arrangement besides the Joe Garland stock and the Tyzik Tonight Show version?
I’m a millenial so I just rush everything...you know, we all play the same ;)

And yep I’m pretty sure I can play the alto/tenor trading solo parts in all keys by now, hahaha

·
550 Posts
Does anyone know of a different arrangement besides the Joe Garland stock and the Tyzik Tonight Show version?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do. Aside from the Joe Garland - Glenn Miller chart and the Jeff Tyzik Tonight Show chart, I have a couple other arrangements:

“Matt’s Mood,” arranged by Matt Catingub, an up-tempo swinger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqaR4_oI2TM

“In the Mood,” recorded by Bobby Hackett, a rather laid-back version with similarities to the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR83pxKP3qM

·
Registered
166 Posts
What a creative approach to improvisation ! ! !
It would certainly be praised by supporters of the purist approach to improvisation ... ha ha ...

And it's a good idea to make a sociological experience and introduce this improvisation during the life performance, it's interesting to see how the listeners will react (applause or whistling, anyway an elevated level of emotions and reactions),

anyway thank you, Dave, you really improved my mood for a few days ...

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What a creative approach to improvisation ! ! !
It would certainly be praised by supporters of the purist approach to improvisation ... ha ha ...

And it's a good idea to make a sociological experience and introduce this improvisation during the life performance, it's interesting to see how the listeners will react (applause or whistling, anyway an elevated level of emotions and reactions),

anyway thank you, Dave, you really improved my mood for a few days ...
Hahahah! I would definitely do that at a gig. Maybe I'll show up at a random jam session and call a blues and just play this for 5 minutes or so. If I do, I'll definitely film it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts