Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Hope you're all doing well. There is an issue that I hear with A LOT of young improvisers and felt like I should make a video about it. I think that if students are taught better from an early age, they can avoid a lot of mistakes and bad habits. This issue is the concept of Horizontal vs Vertical improvisation. Have a look and let me know what you think!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Absolutely excellent. So pertinent to my own playing as discussed on the Softly thread. I think this is something that I do when I'm singing lines in my head, but then when soloing by reading a chord chart all that goes out the window. Which I think also highlights the importance of memorizing the charts.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,122 Posts
Great video Dave, also recognizable for players who improvise already a long time!

I would cancel or lower the volume of the music under your talking even more. it distracts a bit (maybe it's just me, but music always takes my immediate attention over speech!).

·
Vendor
15,754 Posts
Really great video, Dave!
Everything is explained so well and it’s great to have you playing to show what you are explaining.
Beautiful playing BTW!

I taught for over 20 years and I really appreciate what you are doing with your videos.

I will share with you, that when I saw the title and knowing your sense of humor and how fun you can make videos, I expected to see a segment with you laying down on a bed playing and then one with you playing standing against a wall, showing the differences between horizontal and vertical playing. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely excellent. So pertinent to my own playing as discussed on the Softly thread. I think this is something that I do when I'm singing lines in my head, but then when soloing by reading a chord chart all that goes out the window. Which I think also highlights the importance of memorizing the charts.
Thanks so much!

Great video Dave, also recognizable for players who improvise already a long time!

I would cancel or lower the volume of the music under your talking even more. it distracts a bit (maybe it's just me, but music always takes my immediate attention over speech!).
I appreciate that! Yes it can help for improvisers of all ages and ability levels. I hear you on the music thing- I feel I can never get it right...it's either inaudible or I listen to that instead of the talking. I gotta figure it out!

Really great video, Dave!
Everything is explained so well and it’s great to have you playing to show what you are explaining.
Beautiful playing BTW!

I taught for over 20 years and I really appreciate what you are doing with your videos.

I will share with you, that when I saw the title and knowing your sense of humor and how fun you can make videos, I expected to see a segment with you laying down on a bed playing and then one with you playing standing against a wall, showing the differences between horizontal and vertical playing. :)
Thanks man! Much appreciated. As far the joke aspect, for this series (Real Talk Real Tips) I want to keep it 100% legit (which I honestly was hesitant about when I started it), but I love that people click on my videos not knowing exactly what they're gonna get :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts