Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh nice! I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting and your musicianship!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That was great man! I've actually wondered what Bebop would sound like on a C-melody. You would think that someone among all the sax player on earth would play C-mel as their main axe, but no! Hmm, Dave, maybe you've found your calling ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was great man! I've actually wondered what Bebop would sound like on a C-melody. You would think that someone among all the sax player on earth would play C-mel as their main axe, but no! Hmm, Dave, maybe you've found your calling ...
Thank you!! I'd have to get the thing fixed first...there are a TON of leaks, and I really think I'll play it a bunch more if it's fixed up. It's a super interesting instrument to play and I get into a totally different mode when I'm playing it (compared to playing alto or tenor).

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
Now I know for sure why I never have been tempted to try a C tenor.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Thank you!! I'd have to get the thing fixed first...there are a TON of leaks, and I really think I'll play it a bunch more if it's fixed up. It's a super interesting instrument to play and I get into a totally different mode when I'm playing it (compared to playing alto or tenor).
I can relate to that, great job, very nice recording.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts
That sounded really good - like a cross between a modern James Moody and Dick Oatts!

·
Administrator
17,291 Posts
Sounding great on that C melody Dave, but it's the player and not the horn that makes it good.

I don't see a lot of videos of people playing C Melody Sax, let alone videos of people playing bebop on it...
Dutch alto player Benjamin Herman did a full CD on C melody a long time ago (1994), together with guitar player Maarten van der Grinten. They played a mix of all styles on that CD, but Ben's solo in 'We See' (starting at 0:40) can be for sure seen as a Bebop solo on C melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYodZwFUI4

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That was excellent, Dave! Love the smoothness in the higher register as you played it, very Joe Henderson-like.

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was excellent, Dave! Love the smoothness in the higher register as you played it, very Joe Henderson-like.
Thank you! It's such a unique sound - very fun to play.

I agree. Great playing as always, and you make everything fun!!
Thanks brother!

·
3,230 Posts
Beautiful David. Please get that horn fixed up and give us more. i could listen to a lot of that!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Very nice, Dave!
The sonority reminds me of a bass clarinet played in the middle/upper register and in combination with your approach it gets quite warnemarshish in a certain way. Do you play an alto mouthpiece on it?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I don't really know what the difference is between a C melody and a tenor (I'm guessing it's smaller?), but it sounded pretty good to me. Your runs are very listenable, and fun to see where they go. Thanks for the video.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts