Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
Just opened my first box of Javas for tenor in the new sealed packaging and the quality of the cane looked nice but they all played a bit harder than they seemed to before. These were 3 1/2's by the way and I've worked on breaking them in for three days. Anybody else have a similar experience? Just curious before I go out and get some 3's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Besides breaking them in, you may want to shave them down a bit. I find that ALWAYS helps new reeds.

To answer your question, no, I am not familiar with their new packaging (I still have a few boxes purchased a while back) but I have found that Vandorens seem a bit harder than I'd expect. Still, I shave 'em all and they play fine for me. DAVE

·
Registered
627 Posts
I usually play on Java 3s anyway--I was pretty surprised by the new packaging too, but haven't found that the box that I bought has played an harder than normal. I've actually been kind of shocked that there haven't been any duds so far out of the (I've only played on three of the reeds---but that's usually all you get without a little work anyway).

I wonder if there is really any use in all the extra packaging though....

·
Registered
730 Posts
I kind of wondered the same thing. I got a couple boxes of 3.5's last week and one was pretty hard, one was cut way off center and one has been great so far. The one that started out hard is breaking in nicely however.

I understand the whole humidity thing, but once the reed leaves the packaging isn't that the only time that the humidity should be a factor and you really can't control that too well unless you store your reeds in a humidity controlled environment. Whatever, reeds are reeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts