Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Tenor: 1942 Conn 10M "Naked Lady", Alto: P. Mauriat PMXA-67R CL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
for classical music, I’ve always used the Vandoren V5 T25 mouthpiece with a Vandoren V16 3.5 reed. However, the one I have been using has faded, and has turned green from me previously washing it with warm water when I was younger. I love the feel and tone I am able to generate from the mouthpiece, but I have people in my section telling me I have too much of a “fat, bright sound”, so I’m not opposed to trying something new, but I’m not looking for something too different since I have invested a lot of money into pieces which I just personally have not liked. I bought an old Selmer S80 C* used on Ebay and I strongly disliked it, it just seemed way too limiting to me. I have been looking at the Vandoren V5 T20, Vandoren TL5, and considering just purchasing the same mouthpiece I had before (T25). Any recommendations on this topic, be it with the T20, TL5, or just sticking with what I have? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Try switching to the blue box or V12 reeds first. They are harder so you'll need to go down half a size or so. I have not tried it myself on tenor, but you should also consider the Selmer Concept, but try the reed change first, the V16s play quite bright.
I had a T20 that I did not really like. Now I play a Selmer Soloist C**, but I have not played any "classical" music on tenor for several years and since I sold the tenor I used as well, so maybe I'll need to go shopping soon as well! :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
In addition to what you're looking at now, maybe try out a Rousseau NC4 or NC5. Try several of each if you can since I've found their facings inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts