Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Looks really cool, but I really need to try it or see some reviews before putting down money. It will all come down to how good the keys are and how well the breath sensor works.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
very nice but how much are we talking about? It remains to bee seen how it feels in the hands. Are you going to show this at the show in Frankfurt?

on the site they say it will cost €499 (this is only a controller? no software or sounds included, right? And no mouthpiece ? Would it fits any mouthpiece? That would be a first! ) and the kickstarter would cost €299

I think at €299 this is a sure success but at €499 may be a little steep. Would €499 be the retail price in a shop?

You know vibratosax (different thing I know) started with the target price of $250 while it costs very nearly €1000 in a shop.

https://www.odiseimusic.com/pre-order

Camí de Ca n'Ametller 20
08195 Sant Cugat del Vallès
[email protected] / Tel: +34 647 941 979

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting.
I am wondering, it works with a conventional sax mouthpiece, and in the video's I see that they use a reed. Does this travel sax respond to changes in embouchure? And does this means that there will be quite a bit of noise coming from this device. I can imagine that playing it on a bus or in a cafe might be annoying to the people around you......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like a step up from the Aerophone in terms of ergonomics. Also being able to use your own mouthpiece is a huge bonus for sax players since they won't have to adjust their embouchure at all. Also at that price point, it's extremely attractive.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Interesting.
I am wondering, it works with a conventional sax mouthpiece, and in the video's I see that they use a reed. Does this travel sax respond to changes in embouchure? And does this means that there will be quite a bit of noise coming from this device. I can imagine that playing it on a bus or in a cafe might be annoying to the people around you......
If the mouthpiece uses a reed, then there will be some kind of sound coming from the device even without any speakers or headphones hooked up. The company claims that a soprano, alto, tenor, or baritone mouthpiece can be used. I wonder whether that means there will be various "neck" connectors that can be switched in and out. Based on the size of the unit, the physical experience of playing it, i.e., the position of the hands relative to the body, would be most similar to playing a curved soprano sax.

I assume the "horn" will have some kind of software-enabled ability to change its home key, right? Having the ability to simulate both Bb and Eb saxes is a must. But the company doesn't mention that.

I tend to agree with Milandro that €299 (about $337 currently) wouldn't be a bad price if this item works as promised. However, it's hard to tell whether what now exists is just a mockup or one-off prototype, or a real instrument ready for mass manufacturing. The Kickstarter affiliation makes me dubious.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I liked how they covered up the actual playing of the unit with voice overs and actual music, so you never got to actually hear what it sounds like.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I liked how they covered up the actual playing of the unit with voice overs and actual music, so you never got to actually hear what it sounds like.
While I agree this was a bit weird, it's a MIDI controller basically right?

·
38,811 Posts
Yes, it looks like this will be a midi controller without any associated sound module.

So you either just move your fingers on it to practice movements or you need to hook it up to a device with a compatible sound module which would produce (more or less well) sound which you then will get in your earphones or headphones.

Unless this thing is made of some material that I cannot figure, its movements will be somewhat “ silent" but only to some extent. Suppose you are in the train and you are playing this, noise will come from the keys and some sound will seep through the headphones.

Which then brings us to another point.

The mouthpiece and reed.

They promise this would be able to fit your own mouthpiece. It may very well be, but hey have to come up with a system which can allow different diameter mouthpieces. Even cork is not able to compensate for two very different mouthpieces but the mouthpiece receptacle (for lack of a better word) or “ neck” appears not to have anything. Will it have grooves with O rings of different diameter?

Once you have your mouthpiece there , there is nothing to suggest that ( like in the Yamaha for example) the reed is pressure sensitive, so there is a sensor inside which reads air pressure , but if you blow through a mouthpiece with a reed with your normal embouchure your will produce some sound that is unlikely to be musical. Because this is open at the lower end (to allow condensation to seep through) blowing through a mouthpiece with a reed applying your normal embouchure will certainly produce some whining sounds.

If I would be next to someone who is doing some clippity cloppity with the keys and some whining sounds with his mouthpiece that could positively drive me nuts.

In other words , I have the idea that sitting (or sleeping as shown in the video) next to someone practicing with this thing won’t be that pleasant an experience as they suggest.

Yet, aside from the probably optimistic “ silent mode” this could be a real winner if it would provide a good sound controller at a price level lower than any other on the market.

Remember that you can buy things that are perfectly working and are “ stand-alone” instruments needing no hooking to anything to produce electronic sounds.

Another issue are the rechargeable batteries. I don’t like devices with built in, non user replaceable rechargeable batteries. They may work with a phone that after a few years is discarded but they don’t work with something that is, hopefully, a long term purchase.

How good this is for this or any other purpose remains to be seen. Again if this costs €299 to general public it may hit the right spot. While the mentioned price of €499 (for what you get) is too high to me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
So many red lights!

- No demo either of it producing sound or what it sounds like from outside
- Emphasis on the app (even in the list of company members) where-as the engineering work inside is certainly more and more complicated:
-- Wind Sensors? key sensors? integration... how's that modelled?
-- not to mention Bluetooth, battery charging etc.
- Mechanical complexity: clearly it's a 3D printed prototype (itself an accomplishment) but to feel "genuine" the springs etc will have to be way above what the wind controllers require. -> cost of parts and assembly
- overall, I don't think I've seen a working prototype in those videos. So, cute to watch but not to invest it get excited about.

·
38,811 Posts
very nice to see that the product has past the “ mock up” stage and is a working model.

Again, this has much potential, if the price is contained, to be a proper midi controller (with all the pros and cons of not having a built in sound module) and take over a large chunk of the market (especially in many countries in Asia where people live at close quarters making practice very difficult )

I am still unconvinced by the built in rechargeable batteries. What happens when they fail? You throw out everything?

As for the suggested use of practicing while sitting nest to another person, it remains to be seen how noisy the mechanics of the controller are and if there is any whining from the instrument.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I guess one doesn't use a reed, or there would clearly be some more noise?

·
38,811 Posts
I guess one doesn't use a reed, or there would clearly be some more noise?
this is what I inferred before ^ ( the whining noise that you would certainly create if you blow with normal embouchure through a mouthpiece with a reed on it)

However in all their advertising material they show the mouthpiece with a reed. Blowing without a reed would greatly impair your possibility to control your embouchure as you are used to do.

Since the reed has no reed sensor (as opposed to other midi controllers ) this has only the purpose to provide a natural “ feel” to the blowing.

View attachment 230140 View attachment 230142 View attachment 230144

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ah, didn't see these before. Yeah, without the reed it would be weird (too) :)

·
38,811 Posts
They show in a lot of their videos (please take a look) that you could use this while commuting in public transport or even while laying in bed next to your spouse of friend while he or she sleeps.

If you imagine some key noise which I described like clippity cloppity ( think how irritating it is to have someone next to you typing text messages without having removed the key noise on his phone) and some unavoidable whining noise from the reed, that could positively drive anyone crazy!

Frankly speaking I wouldn’t expect too much of this in this area.

Where I do expect much is for practice with headphones for people whom cannot play a traditional instrument at home or workplace or hotel. The other application is the one as a midicontroller.

Its compact size is great and also the fact that it appears to mimic a traditional instrument too. Where I am not that happy is that for €499 you don’t get any sound module and you are relying on more or less adequate sounds coming from an external module.

What are the competitors here?

Roland Aerophone with a built in module costs €735

Akai Ewi 5000 € 642

( can the Yamaha WX 5 still be bought? In Europe there is an issue with “ safety” rules there)

My favorite controller is the Swiss Synthophone which is a much more complex and expensive instrument with a reed sensitive sensor but that uses the body of a real sax to build in all the electronics and have a separate sound module.

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK. so I sent an email to their customer support folks. Here's what I found out.
1. It doesn't support note bending "at this time."
2. They have you place the reed low on the mouthpiece so it doesn't vibrate, thus avoiding the ungodly noise of an unattached mouthpiece being blown.
3. They suggest that the key noise has been worked on to minimize any mechanical noise.

So for me, wind synth is essential because I lost all my teeth as a side effect of chemotherapy (I'm cancer-free now, if you're interested.) I LOVE my WX11, though I MIDI it through the KORG O1W softsynth, which is loaded with the truly phenomenal sounds created by Patchman. I have to set it for zero lip pressure, which means I can bend up, but cannot do constant pressure on the "reed." All I need to do is finger it a half step down and bend that up instead, if I want to bend down. The only drawback of the Yamaha is that it's fairly unwieldy to travel with, though it's much sturdier than it looks.

I was hoping that this device could be a true travel sax, with a small laptop to run the quality sounds thru a DAW, and no need for the WT11 sound module that must be there with the WX11. Those are antiquated sounds that I rarely use. If they conquer the note bending issue (I suggested they just use a built-in mouthpiece with a sensor, like the EWI and Yamaha synths.) then I'll be the first in line, since it's less than $500 USD. I also mentioned to them that it's not really a functional "practice sax" if they don't support note bending, this being essential to saxophone skills in my opinion. Hopefully I've challenged them to conquer this issue.

·
38,811 Posts
Thanks.

It seems that these thing has still a very long way to cover before it offers a viable alternative to what is on the market already.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Milandro for sensible doubts and apt thoughts,
and thanks Goldeskyhook (it looks that you was the person who asked in Odisei Music pages Comments for very specific things about the controller usability more closely related to the real saxophone (or someone else asked about that you mentioned above). As they answered, some improvements possibly will be done in the future, some in the next 2nd version of controller (if ...).
The main IDEA of the project is great and seems to going in the right direction, good luck, OM.
However, it warmed my emotions, I found WX-5 with Patchman at the moment is still a good solution.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One more question, because I missed or did not notice.
Does anyone know, what material is this device made of (mainly)?
I mean whether and for how long it lasts on finger pressure, how durable?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts