Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From his classic collaboration with Duke Ellington... This track is an amazing and innovative take on blues in G (tenor key), and hey: you'll actually be able to play this one! Check out the analysis and the transcription, and tell me what you think...

It's here: Harder Bop!

·
4,241 Posts
Thanks man, you pulled up yet another of my favorite tunes , excellent. Love your site ..............

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Great job and great site! I just ordered the CD. This way I get two things in one: incredible music and support for a great jazz music education site!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks, again. Those of us who a) can't, and b) wouldn't have the time anyway to do such transcriptions really appreciate your generosity.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Great man! I love those tritone sub II-Vs he plays. Your transcription, especially the analysis and the "suggested" chords you wrote gives a good insight to Trane's approach.

Questions : what's the theory behind the changes from measure 41 to 44? He plays this series of chords regularly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Those look like the changes of Blues for Alice - a nice chromatic descent to the II-V in bar 9-10
Thank you Kelly, I really enjoy checking out your transcriptions. The bit in bar 69 is very cool - looks like a beautiful sneaking into the Am D7 through C# - F# - B alt. Definitely worth remembering...

Reine

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously: Thanks to all youse folks! Regarding...

Questions : what's the theory behind the changes from measure 41 to 44? He plays this series of chords regularly.
... Reine answered that. And, Reine, I think your interpretation of 69 is worthy...

jlima: thanks for ordering that, and: you're lucky! I remember the first time I heard that disc, that particular version of In A Sentimental Mood that opens it. What a treat you're in for! Enjoy!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts