Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering jumping into the sound system world. It would be a maximum of 3 players, small lounges/outdoor pools/resorts kinda thing. Any opinions on this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StagePas300/ ? Obviously, I'm not looking to break the bank. Looking for something "entry" level and if this takes off, then I can upgrade at a later date.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
I also have been looking at buying this system or the 500 series. Pros are the size and the integrated mixer in the back of the speaker design. Sound quality rivals it's price point. It's much better than the other all-in-one systems like the Fenders or Peaveys. They also would make for good monitors if/when you want to expand to a larger system. Cons are you have to buy/order the stand mounts separately and that adds to the price. Output and headroom are only about good enough for a large coffee house sized space. Outdoors or in a bigger room you'll likely want more such as the 500 series.

Also, check ebay for a lower price.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Well, I guess for that price, there's not much you can really choose from--though I wold hardly call that a "sound system". I wouldn't use that system for anything more than about 75 people, in a fairly small room.

But, I think you could do better with a seperate mixer and powered PA speakers. At least it will give you the option of upgrading, instead of just replacing when you need more PA.

How about a Yamaha MD16/4 and a pair of Yamaha MSR400. Not quite as cheap, but a little more flexible, and with room to grow some too.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
JC makes a valid point.

The only downside of powered speakers is that you have to run power (extension cords to each speaker), as well as the mixer out to the speakers.

The basic problem with 'beginner' PA's is that to get just 3dB more (a barely noticeable difference), you have to double the wattage. To get twice the 'volume', you have to get 10 times the power.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,895 Posts
If you don't know anything about sound systems, a plug and play system may be your best bet, but don't count on being able to upgrade it. Hang out with some sound guys and ask if you can be their apprentice/free roadie. Learn what they are doing and what the equipment they are using does. It isn't terribly complicated, but it is pretty confusing to get a handle on in the beginning.

Yamaha has a book on sound reinforcement for around $20. Get it and read it about a dozen times and most things will be pretty clear to you.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts

·
13,895 Posts
Hak, Have you ever tried or heard the cheap Behringer sm58 clones? I picked up a 3 pack before I moved and haven't given them a try yet. I'm tempted to bring them out and try them with the band, but I don't want to shaft somebodies sound, even though the "sound guy" is mixing from the trumpet section, I don't want to add further suck to the equation.

I bought them as announce mics for a string quartet at wedding gigs, but never put them in service.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
russellxenia said:
So you're talking about the 512 model? It's only $20 more than the 300 model. Sounds like a good deal.

Ed
No, the StagePas 500 is a bigger set of speakers, more power and a larger mixer
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StagePas500/

For both systems, you have to buy the stand mounts too. Nobody I've taked to has these in stock including Sweetwater.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BMS10A

The advantage of these setups is they're more or less plug in and play. That can be a big deal if you have little experience with live sound. Plus it saves on set up time.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Carl H. said:
Hak, Have you ever tried or heard the cheap Behringer sm58 clones? I picked up a 3 pack before I moved and haven't given them a try yet. I'm tempted to bring them out and try them with the band, but I don't want to shaft somebodies sound, even though the "sound guy" is mixing from the trumpet section, I don't want to add further suck to the equation.

I bought them as announce mics for a string quartet at wedding gigs, but never put them in service.
I've never used them, but I have an admitted predjudice against behringer products. I don't think it would add too much of a suck component to the sound, if you're just miking horns for sound reinforcement.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Carl H. said:
Have you ever tried or heard the cheap Behringer sm58 clones?
Well, I don't like the SM58--it's too stuffy for me. I've got a set of ultra cheap SM58 clones, not Behringer, but the suck just as much. I only use them for talk back, or for crappy back ground singer/girlfriends whom I don't like.

I actually like the SM57 with the foam windscreen. But for the money, the Audix OM2 is a much better vocal mic, and has better feed back rejection, but you have to stay on close on the mic.

My preferred low end dynamic mic for instruments is the Audix i5, but the SM57 works well too.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
JCBigler said:
Well, I don't like the SM58--it's too stuffy for me. I've got a set of ultra cheap SM58 clones, not Behringer, but the suck just as much. I only use them for talk back, or for crappy back ground singer/girlfriends whom I don't like.

I actually like the SM57 with the foam windscreen. But for the money, the Audix OM2 is a much better vocal mic, and has better feed back rejection, but you have to stay on close on the mic.

My preferred low end dynamic mic for instruments is the Audix i5, but the SM57 works well too.
Okay, I'll go with the sound of the audix, but I have it on good authority that the sm57 and 58 use the same capsule.:shock::)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
hakukani said:
but I have it on good authority that the sm57 and 58 use the same capsule.:shock::)
Yeah, that's what they want you to believe. They may be made on the same assembly line, but they sound different. The SM57 is brighter and clearer sounding. The 58 is darker and muffled sounding. It might be the difference in the windscreen, I don't know, but I can tell the difference between the two when put side by side.

Of course, if you want a REALLY good sounding vocal mic, then get one of the Neumann KMS 105's. But they are only about $700.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
JCBigler said:
Yeah, that's what they want you to believe. They may be made on the same assembly line, but they sound different. The SM57 is brighter and clearer sounding. The 58 is darker and muffled sounding. It might be the difference in the windscreen, I don't know, but I can tell the difference between the two when put side by side.

Of course, if you want a REALLY good sounding vocal mic, then get one of the Neumann KMS 105's. But they are only about $700.
Ya gets what ya pays for (he says as he assembles his MkVI);)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Carl H. said:
Nothing beats an SM58 for a jazz broomist.
...or velcro tap dancing!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Carl H. said:
The great Barbutti only uses SM58 mics.
Do you know what make of plunger he uses as his cigar holder?

·
13,895 Posts
I believe it is a Steenway plunger? Couldn't tell from the booth.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Carl H. said:
I believe it is a Steenway plunger? Couldn't tell from the booth.
I forgot to ask him, myself.

Barbutti MC'd the Wichita Jazz festival in '94. I was a deck hand doing monitors. Wynton, Redman, and Dr. John played that year. I wonder if any of those guys knew that Barbutti was cracking us up backstage while they were playing?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts