Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone hows it going. My names Stuart and I'm new to SOTW although I have been lurking the site for a few days. So I have been playing for roughly 6 months and I'm just curious as to where I should be at on my saxophone. I practice daily and have made many giant leaps in my playing but I still have nothing to compare my self too because im not in any sort of band. I was just wondering if there was any teachers or students on here that have some examples of sheet music that should be around my skill level.

Thanks!

p.s im just starting to learn improv so any tips on that would be much appreciated

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
Stuart: Welcome to SOTW AND to the saxophone. You need to tell us more about yourself . . . where you live, your age, musical tastes and goals, lessons taken, equipment you are using (sopranino, contra-bass), etc. Do you want to play old jazz, new jazz, R&B, etc.? DAVE

·
6,715 Posts
Welcome Stuart.
At the risk of being a bore I would recommend Major & Minor scales....all of them, and to be able to play chromatically & cleanly throughout the range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DAVE: Lets see where to start.. I'm seventeen years old and probably one of the few Canadians on this site haha (Nova Scotia). I used to play the sax for a year or so back in the day but i can honestly say they only thing i learned was how to **** off a band teacher. Now that I have matured I see how stupid I was to give up this wonderful horn. As I stand now I'm playing a sub-par Alto sax made by Musica (??) although I have a loaner sax right now while mine is in shop (alpine) and it is much easier to play. I use a Meyer mpc (6). As far as musical tastes Im gonna have to say new jazz/R&B/ and of course a lil dirty ol funk. My favorite sax player is Maceo Parker and if I could be half the Sax player he is I'll be one happy man. Unfortunately I feel myself getting discouraged just because I dont know what i should be sounding like for someone with my experience, anyways hope this helps!

Captain Beeflat: Nothing to do with the sax is a bore ;p

·
Registered
442 Posts
Stuart, welcome to the forum. At 17, I think you're too young to use the phrase "back in the day"! ;)

But hey, at least you didn't wait until your 30s (or much later) to get back into music like some of the rest of us!

Are there any community bands near you? That would be a way to play with others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha well I hope your right, and there are they start the beginning of September, needless to say I'm excited

·
14,440 Posts
Stuart: Okay, for a start. As long as the shop makes your Musica playable, then it should serve your needs, especially with a good mouthpiece like a Meyer. I'll second the Captain (Bb) about all the scales; and I'll throw in chords and arpeggios, for learning improv. You can teach yourself to improvise by selecting simple melodies and playing them in all scales without reading them. Find a keyboard and sound out chords (or you can buy a piano chord book and learn how they are constructed, then interpret them on your saxophone as arpeggios).

You are not among a few Canadians here - there are many. Nova Scotia is beautiful - been there. Have a good friend who lives in Cape Bretton, too.

Where should your saxophone skills be at this point? There are no rules. We all learn at a different pace. You have a good goal, though (Maceo Parker). You'll know when you get there. DAVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
make sense. But is there different levels of sax like there is in piano? Different exams and tests that your supposed to pass?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
Scales really do help your reading. I like working on etudes like the Ferling studies or similar. You get to play some melodic stuff while honing your reading. Listen to as much as you can.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Stuart, welcome to the forum. At 17, I think you're too young to use the phrase "back in the day"! ;)
No he's not,... I use it all the time and I'm only 13! It just means like when I was like 4 and stuff. LOL! Seriously though,... welcome Stuart!

·
Banned
492 Posts
So when you were 4, I was 55....
LOL! Just means I have 51 years of learning to get under me before I can catch up with you. Might pull it off,... if I keep practicing and don't get stuck on stupid on the way. Wish me luck! You know us yung'uns, sometimes we're real capable of some pretty stupid stuff which kinda knocks us off course a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts