Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people.

I just got my hands on an old H. Couf alto and had a few questions for you regulars. Basically, I'm going through a period in my life where I'm really searching for my "Sound" and currently have a Conn New Wonder and a King Zephyr. All of them have their good points and bad points.
1) The Couf's got a very nice, mature sound to it, and I can really see using it for the casuals that I do where the bossman wants a quiet atmosphere, but it doesn't seem to project like my Conn and King. Is that pretty much a correct analysis or does the sound just not come back to the player much but does go out to the audience?
2) I get the feeling that this is not really a rock and roll horn. I can get it to sound nasty enough but the projection doesn't seem to be there.
3) The horn came with a mix of metal and plastic resonators. Which would you choose to redo the horn in? I would like more projection so metal resos would seem the choice, but I don't want to really change that sound that I'm hearing now.
4) High F# doesn't seem to speak very easily, and the falsetto notes are also not so easy to get. Are there any quirks that I should be aware of that maybe a tech might be able to deal with.
5) What kind of mouthpieces would you recommend/not recommend. I'm currently using a Meyer Med chamber that seems to sound good on just about anything.
The main reason I got this horn is because I wanted to try something different. My king sounds great but the keywork is odd and I feel the overall tone is, how can I say it, brash. My Conn is very sweet sounding. However these older horns don't take too well to modern mouthpieces and that was one of the main reasons that I got the Couf, that and the high F#.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks people.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
On alto, it's tough to beat the projection of a vintage King or Conn. Which Couf is this, by the way? The Superbas are excellent horns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
WindMachine said:
Hello people.

2) I get the feeling that this is not really a rock and roll horn. I can get it to sound nasty enough but the projection doesn't seem to be there.

5) What kind of mouthpieces would you recommend/not recommend. I'm currently using a Meyer Med chamber that seems to sound good on just about anything.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks people.
Hey Dude

I've an old Keilwerth - which I understand to be similar to the Couf

With a Berg Larsen 100/1 metal mouthpiece and a Fibracell reed it most definately rocks, loud and clear with great projection.

I also have a couple of keilwerth plastic mouthpieces - much smoother, quieter, warmer sound.

Give a different mouthpiece a try

Just my $0.02

Cheers

Jim

=mjc=

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the resopnses guys. This horn is REALLY DIFFERENT from the other ones that I've got. A few things that I've got to ask about, though.

1) The altissimo responds very differently, the A is really hard to produce (for me it's usually one of the easiest) and the fork G is unusably sharp. Is this a setup issue, a natural response of the horn, or...?

2) The high F# is also hard to produce.

3) The middle C# is quite flat.

Thanks people

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
The Keilwerth horns, more than any other that I have worked on, is more sensitive to the amount of opening of the front F key in altissimo fingerings. It should barely crack open for best response.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Shmuelyosef. That's good to know

Another thing, I was wondering if the altissimo and intonation could be improved by getting another neck. Do modern Keilwerth necks work on these older Coufs, or any others. I would want another neck, not just for possibly improving the sound, but also because I really hate putting paper on the cork when one mouthpiece is bigger than another.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Modern Keilwerth necks do work well on Coufs. Tends to make the sound a little brighter while improving the tuning across the horn. That has been my experience at least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Tomsch,

I just noticed that you are using an after-market neck on your Couf. How's it working? Better intonation, response, etc. Any difference for altissimo?

Sorry I'm writing so after-the-fact. I was pretty busy earlier this month.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I used a Gloger silver neck for several years that I loved but sold it after I picked up a 83,xxx Couf neck. Should not have sold the Gloger but I just recently picked up a Bosken Nickel Silver neck. Tuning is much more consistant across the horn. Palm keys are no longer flat.
Tone-wise the Bosken neck is more centered with slightly more resistance. The core of the sound is very similar to the SX90R NS I owned a while ago but with the darker sound. The real test will be a 3hr gig this Friday.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Forgot to add that altissimo response is slightly improved with the Bosken neck. Balance of the sound in the alt range is fatter also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts