Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new to sax on the web....I have a King Cleveland 613. King Musical Instruments, East Lake, Ohio (serial #29****). I've checked the H.N. White site and it didn't provide the info that I was looking for. Does anyone have any idea about the value? I believe that it dates within 1945-50's. Thanks for your help. :)
:treble::bass::lowbd::line2::space2::line3::space2::line3: nudge nudge :bluewink::bluewink: you know what I mean. p.s. not trying to sell or buy....just wanted info for my own information. Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, is anyone out there?....if you don't have the answer, just say hi....new member...wanting to get to know ya'll, thanks.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Hi, new to sax on the web....I have a King Cleveland 613. King Musical Instruments, East Lake, Ohio (serial #29****). I've checked the H.N. White site and it didn't provide the info that I was looking for. Does anyone have any idea about the value? I believe that it dates within 1945-50's. Thanks for your help. :)
:treble::bass::lowbd::line2::space2::line3::space2::line3: nudge nudge :bluewink::bluewink: you know what I mean. p.s. not trying to sell or buy....just wanted info for my own information. Thanks again for any help.
Actually it dates to the mid 1960s. In the following link, scroll down to the Cleveland list, not King--

http://boneswest.org/pdf/TromboneSerialNos.pdf

If it's in good shape with original case, it's probably worth around $200.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, welcome to SOTW. Sorry for the poor response but we see it almost every day. "I'm new to SOTW, what is my sax worth". watch ebay for a couple of months and you will find out what the selling prices are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Also, we always can't give an answer in 2 hours. Usually it takes about a day for most of us to get through the threads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the link drwhippet it was helpful....I had a look at it and saw that it does belong to the 1945-50's according to the King Serial numbers as King serial numbers are 6 digits and Clevelands are 5 digits so it must be 1945-50's King. I do appreciate your help though...but I believe that it's worth a lot more than $200.00.....I paid over $500 for it in New York (over 30 years ago). If you find any additional information or links, please let me know as I'm grateful for you help. :mrgreen:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The Clevelands were 6 digits beginning in 1960. If it is a Cleveland, a 29x,xxx number puts that horn somewhere around 1966-67.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah, if is says King Cleveland 613 then it was not made in the 40's. They are student model horns...I've never seen one sell for much more than $200, even in good shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, if is says King Cleveland 613 then it was not made in the 40's. They are student model horns...I've never seen one sell for much more than $200, even in good shape.
Thanks for your help....I've been checking ebay as suggested by another recent reply and I've seen some going for over $600.00....but I guess the only way to find out for sure is to have it appraised. Perhaps, seeing the instruments condition and it's accessories in person would help. Does anyone know a good instrument appraiser? :) Thanks again.

·
8,588 Posts
Why don't you post some photos here? Much is condition dependant, although there are limits.

Just because you see someone on eBay posting a horn at $600, doesn't mean they actually get that much for it, or even ever sell it. There are a lotta people out there with unrealistic expectations on instrument value.

One thing you can do it to check the final auction price on completed auctions. That's the true test. You can find that ability on eBay under advanced search options.

I don't know if you can follow this search link or not, but here's the link to what I found. 2 auctions that ended without buyers. One at $200.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...ct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I got a $90 King Cleveland alto off ebay for a student that looked like a dog, but I knew could be fixed cheap enough to resell for profit if it wasn't a player. After $200 of work, it is a player... I'd love it as a backup. Thing fights WAAAAY out of its weightclass, but I don't think anybody really knows about them, so the go really cheap. It's always the first thing I think of recommending to someone who needs a lot of horn for a little money.

Another student picked one up from Sam Ash for about $450. I'd expect that's about the high end of what they'd go for. This horn is also a real player.

Neither horn had the battle-axe style keyguard, so I don't know what vintage that makes them...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got a $90 King Cleveland alto off ebay for a student that looked like a dog...
I had to read this over a few times to realize that you were talking about the horn...

Also I have never had a bad experience with King Cleveland horns especially with the Zephyr models. If it plays nice and someone likes the way it sounds they might make a higher offer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
these saxophones are almost impossible to sell over here . I had one beautiful silver plate (very rare) one which played wonderfully for a student sax (these were never meant to be top notch saxophones!) in original case. I bought it for 120 € and couldn't sell it to anyone ( I had it in a shop in consignment for about one year!) so I ended up swapping it for a tenor (there was a lady who had problems with the weight of a tenor) and I could then sell the tenor.

They are very common horns, they play well but the market doesn't like them. I have also had the tenor 615.

If you go to a shop they will give you an appraisal based on what they would sell a saxophone for if someone would venture in to buy just anything, that hardly represents the true market value. In order to establish that ask them how much would the pay for you saxophone and then you will see their faces turn green and sour. In this case they probably would give you a two figures price or they would say nothing at all.

This, unfortunately, I see very often over here. Shops tend to give you high figures valuations because they are taking of insurance value or , at best, of what they hope to sell a sax like this for , the nitty gritty is that market value is very much lower.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
Also I have never had a bad experience with King Cleveland horns especially with the Zephyr models. If it plays nice and someone likes the way it sounds they might make a higher offer.
but a 613 ain't a Zephyr!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a $90 King Cleveland alto off ebay for a student that looked like a dog, but I knew could be fixed cheap enough to resell for profit if it wasn't a player. After $200 of work, it is a player... I'd love it as a backup. Thing fights WAAAAY out of its weightclass, but I don't think anybody really knows about them, so the go really cheap. It's always the first thing I think of recommending to someone who needs a lot of horn for a little money.

Another student picked one up from Sam Ash for about $450. I'd expect that's about the high end of what they'd go for. This horn is also a real player.

Neither horn had the battle-axe style keyguard, so I don't know what vintage that makes them...
That's a great buy! What did you get fixed? Mine may need some tightening of the keys as there is a little loose action but everything else is in good shape...I'd upload a picture but I'm having hardware problems....cannot upload right now....if I can find the cord to my digital camera maybe there's hope that I can upload a picture...my computer doesn't have an SD card port....so hoping to find the cord for USB port connection to upload. If found I'll upload a pic. Thanks.:mrgreen:

·
8,588 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts