Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been playing saxohone for about nine years, bari for five. I've been thinkng about getting a metal mouthpiece. Right now i switch between either a 3-4 reed and a synthetic, i'm not sure what brand though. I play mostly jazz music on a yamaha. Should i look into gettin a metal mouthpiece, if so what kind?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
You could try an Otto Link STM (some hate them, some love them), Metal Berg, just play a bunch of stuff. There are also hard rubber pieces that will sound just as good if not better, just go to your local store and try a bunch of crap out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I wouldn't be in a big hurry to go to metal, especially since you're already an experienced bari player. (Because metal mpcs can be made smaller than HR, it's sometimes easier for doublers to adapt their embouchure to the bari.) But really, there are many fine mpcs made out of HR, plastic, and metal. I doubt most listeners could detect a difference. That said, I played a big Dukoff on bari for a while; it was rough sounding but it really cut through when pushed. I decided I liked the rubber Berg better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Lamberson hard rubber SB or DD. The SB is more versatile, the DD has more cut.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I play a Yani metal on bari (used to play Link STM). Gives me good dynamic range and tonal flexibility, and the size makes it easier to go back and forth between tenor and bari.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts