Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,706 Posts
i have a Bb holton in silver . its actually a very good soprano. far better in tune with itself than my old king soprano. does this have the original c sop mpc>?

·
3,706 Posts
good move. i have yet to find a c mpc for my buescher c sop. i cut the shank off a yamaha 4c or can use a runyon custom which also works on c sop

·
4,880 Posts
No original mouthpiece but leaning towards Morgan.
good move. i have yet to find a c mpc for my buescher c sop. i cut the shank off a yamaha 4c or can use a runyon custom which also works on c sop
If you ask nicely @lostcircuits……he would probably make you guys one fine RPC. He plays a C SOP.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
I have found that both a Selmer S-80 C* and a Rousseau 4R work dandy on both my Bb Buescher and my C Holton. I had to cut 3/8" or so off the shanks of both mouthpieces to get them far enough on the horn, due to the design of the mechanism.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found that both a Selmer S-80 C* and a Rousseau 4R work dandy on both my Bb Buescher and my C Holton. .
Actually testing with a Yamaha 6CM, which is a square throat like an S-80. I have to push it way past the cork to work in tune, in top of the octave key. Even with the pads completely worn out, I can get a seal and pop some notes. Against a tuner, I am getting notes in tune in C (I can only play G1 and above right now as anything lower won't play until overhauled).

I will get the Morgan MPC, as it is designed for a sax like this, but may test a Yamaha 4C, too

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
You'll very likely have to cut a bit off the end of most MPs.

Beyond that, when you get it repadded, check low Bb. I found my Holton C was well in tune everywhere except low Bb was wicked sharp. I cut a ring of 1/4" belting leather and contact-cemented it inside the bell; problem solved, no effects on low B or above; but I did have to tweak my C soprano peg a bit (made from a clarinet/flute peg with diameter of the upper part increased to keep the C soprano from wobbling).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll very likely have to cut a bit off the end of most MPs.

Beyond that, when you get it repadded, check low Bb. I found my Holton C was well in tune everywhere except low Bb was wicked sharp. I cut a ring of 1/4" belting leather and contact-cemented it inside the bell; problem solved, no effects on low B or above; but I did have to tweak my C soprano peg a bit (made from a clarinet/flute peg with diameter of the upper part increased to keep the C soprano from wobbling).
Thanks, good to know on low Bb. I hope the Morgan won't need to be cut and will work as intended.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,321 Posts
I would have a hard time paying $300 for a C soprano mouthpiece. The 4C works so well. Actually a 3C is close to the originals. I have a C soprano mouthpiece and it is OK but too stuffy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,617 Posts
… low Bb was wicked sharp. I cut a ring of 1/4" belting leather and contact-cemented it inside the bell; problem solved…
so, was the leather to make the bell longer?

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
No, not longer, if you constrict the diameter of the bell right at the end it flattens the Bb. It's essentially the same effect as putting your foot in the bell to play a low "A-ish".

·
3,706 Posts
yes bruce -i am happy with the tone of the yamaha 4c also. not stuffy but still would like to have a real c mpc someday but 300 is a chunk of change for a horn i seldom play anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts