Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just decided to try and pick up the sax again. Found what I think was a decent deal on a Conn Alto. It's a late Chu/early Tranny I believe. I'm still waiting on delivery of a mouthpiece and ligature, nothing fancy Otto Link 6 and stock lig...

It seems to be in good condition. It obviously needs a good cleaning, but the pads look good and it seems to play well. I'll have it gone over by a local tech soon to make any required adjustments

Pics below if I can post them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Yes, this is the Tranny Chu, a particularly good vintage for Conns. Link is a classic choice for a mpc as well. Enjoy...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Very Nice! I have one just like it and it plays excellently. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,910 Posts
I've got one pretty much exactly like yours. It's a great horn, a real shouter when you want it. Mine blows open and easy in the palm keys & maintains a nice round tone up there - it doesn't get pinched and thin like on some horns. I had some trouble with it early on because the keys were set too high -- that was great for loudness but it messed up the intonation, especially around low and mid E and Eb. Got my tech to lower the action a bit & working with him got it set where the intonation problems cleared up & it kept its easy blowing characteristics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. It seems this one will be a good horn. My link should be here tomorrow. I bought this from a man that had it for 50 years He bought it used and played it through high school and college.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts