Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum here, and let me say this, it is a great forum:) I have been playing alto, tenor, and bari sax for about 6 years now.
Anyways, I did a performance for my school about a year ago, and when I heard the recording of it I wasnt exactly thrilled about my sound, to me it sounds a bit buzzy or something. Im trying to find my unique sound, which right now is a funk/fusion sound that Im going after. As an example maybe like Grover Washington, Jr.'s tenor sound on Live at The Bijou, not exactly (obviously), but something like that, kind bright and edgy. Right now I have a yamaha yts-62ii with an sr tech fusion 115 mpc with stock rovner lig and vandoren java 2.5 reeds. Could there be a setup to try, or am I in need of just practicing more. Heres the video of the performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctBbt7O-BhM

peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool recording. I don't think your tone is too buzzy - just keep working on your embouchure. I'm not familiar with the mouthpiece you're playing on, but from my experience the Java reeds can be buzzy; I prefer hemke reeds if I'm looking for a cleaner, darker sound. Also.. Tune the guitars! Lol.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
This is a rather large peanut gallery, but here's my 2 cents. Try an RPC 115 B mouthpiece and a Hahn 2.0 or 2.5 strength reed.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
I also like the RPC, however from the video I'd say there's nothing you need that can't come from you. Your tone is good but I can hear two areas to work on for a start: articulation and vibrato (even if you only want to use vibrato very sparingly, it will really help the expression).

However articulation is often an underrated factor in moulding your sound, although it only affect the front of a note, it is what sticks in the listeners memory.

I find this a lot, that people can have a very good tone because they have put in a lot of work on it, but find that the tone controls them, whereas it should be the other way round: you need absolute control over your tone. I have an exercise that can really help with this:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-tone-control.html

For me this is the ultimate tone exercise as it combines the main elements you need for expression and for forming your own unique voice.

One thing I noticed from the video, you take in a lot of mouthpiece. This can be OK sometimes, but it's definitely worth trying less if you want to experiment with different ways to personalise your sound

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
i think your tone is fine, and about 10 times better than the geetar player. I like the end when you played with the other guy.

Cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I really enjoyed that clip; for the joy of its participants as well as the audience. Thanks for sharing that Andy.

SR Tech makes quality mouthpieces. Their Pro line might give you more versatility in creating the sound you want as opposed to the Fusion model you now play. Small chambered, high baffled mouthpieces such as the Fusion are going to be more dialed in with a ready-made sound built in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Welcome to SoTW Andy - enjoyed the clip as well. I like the tone personally. I do have one bit of advice though - ya gotta lose the white neck strap man! Don't you know that a white neck strap is brighter than a dark one? Maybe that's also where the "buzz" comes from?! :bluewink: :mrgreen:

(actually, I'm really jealous and kinda want one of those myself!)

On the serious side now, others have given you great advice regarding the mouthpiece & reed combination. I didn't hear the "buzziness" you (pretty good speakers on my iMac btw) alluded to & I'm surprised you do given the Rovner lig. It didn't sound like you were miked so the listener from several feet away is definitely going to have a different perception than you do right on top of the horn with the mouthpiece stuck in your face!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum Andy. I don't hear any buzz either. Your tone sounds good. Sometimes (maybe all the time) what you hear behind the horn is not the same as what is going out to the audience. A 'buzz' could just be some reed vibration that you are feeling but that doesn't translate to the actual sound. Nothing wrong with a little tenor buzz anyway!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I think you shouldn't get critical over your sound from a recording of this quality. You have your sound, like Pete said, work on your articulation a bit. Nice job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts