Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the first note I understood the hype.
I have a Durga 3 for my bari which i love, and a NY Bros 3 for my Alto already, but this thing....WOW.

I had a Link for the tenor (which was refaced properly) but still i struggled with it.
From note 1 I heard the difference.
After a few notes i could tell how EASY it was to play.

I am not a pro but a very avid recreational player. I decided to invest in mouthpieces before reinvesting in expensive horns.
I do find the saxophone.com brand (the brand name is not great, but the quality/tone of their intermediate and pro horns are great) to be really well made saxes.
So i took the plunge across 3 of the horns and couldn't be happier, but the Gaia 3 for Tenor blows them all away.
AMAZING

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying your mouthpieces -- makes my day.....thanks for that :)
Not to hijack this thread (motteatoj, I'm happy for you!), but Spooner.......I assume you're associated with Wanne? If so, I'm curious about the NY Bros Meyer. I have an "original" issue (Series 1?) and am aware of the "2", but there's now a 3rd version out? I'm VERY happy with the one I have, but I'm curious as to what exactly is the difference between the original NY Bros and the 2....and the 3 for that matter!?
Thanks!
John

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not to hijack this thread (motteatoj, I'm happy for you!), but Spooner.......I assume you're associated with Wanne? If so, I'm curious about the NY Bros Meyer. I have an "original" issue (Series 1?) and am aware of the "2", but there's now a 3rd version out? I'm VERY happy with the one I have, but I'm curious as to what exactly is the difference between the original NY Bros and the 2....and the 3 for that matter!?
Thanks!
John
John,
I do indeed have the good fortune to work with Theo. I do the computer modeling with Theo, and the CNC programming/machining to execute his designs.

The difference between the NY Bros 1 and 2 is a few (very) slight rollover baffle/chamber shape changes that made a pretty significant difference in the projection and response of that piece. There isn't currently a NY Bros 3 out in the world yet.....that being said, Theo certainly isn't one to ever rest on his laurels. He's always working to improve the designs of all our pieces. It's entirely possible that there will be one in the future :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
From the first note I understood the hype.
I have a Durga 3 for my bari which i love, and a NY Bros 3 for my Alto already, but this thing....WOW.

I had a Link for the tenor (which was refaced properly) but still i struggled with it.
From note 1 I heard the difference.
After a few notes i could tell how EASY it was to play.

I am not a pro but a very avid recreational player. I decided to invest in mouthpieces before reinvesting in expensive horns.
I do find the saxophone.com brand (the brand name is not great, but the quality/tone of their intermediate and pro horns are great) to be really well made saxes.
So i took the plunge across 3 of the horns and couldn't be happier, but the Gaia 3 for Tenor blows them all away.
AMAZING
I'm also a big fan of the Gaia, although I think mine is a Gaia 2. For me, it's right where I like to be on the dark-bright spectrum, and it's just one of the easiest to play mouthpieces I've encountered: effortless intonation, easy altissimo, plenty of volume without having to push too hard, very versatile. Surprised these bad boys are not talked about more on SOTW, but I imagine a lot of people get scared off by the relatively high price tag. All I can say is, yeah, it's a lot of money, but you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I also noted is it plays really well and easy with every reed I tried on it. From Red Box to V16 to Legere to Jazz Select.

Other mpcs I have Always honed in on one (maybe two) brands that I like for various reasons.
I feel like I can tweak my sound with a pallet of reeds now as well and not worry about “playability”.
It’s actually the first mpc I like the Legere on (for Tenor).

I think they aren’t talked about much due to the high price tag and lack of pieces to try at local shops.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
John,
I do indeed have the good fortune to work with Theo. I do the computer modeling with Theo, and the CNC programming/machining to execute his designs.

The difference between the NY Bros 1 and 2 is a few (very) slight rollover baffle/chamber shape changes that made a pretty significant difference in the projection and response of that piece. There isn't currently a NY Bros 3 out in the world yet.....that being said, Theo certainly isn't one to ever rest on his laurels. He's always working to improve the designs of all our pieces. It's entirely possible that there will be one in the future :)
Thank you! I'll have to try a NYB 2 when I have the chance. I appreciate the quick reply!

John

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
John,

When you guys come out with a new model do you still make the old models or are those discontinued?

·
12,790 Posts
John,

Can you talk about the differences between the Gaia, Gaia 2 and now Gaia 3 tenor pieces also? I would be interested in how they all compare to each other......

·
Registered
881 Posts
Can you talk about the differences between the Gaia, Gaia 2 and now Gaia 3 tenor pieces also? I would be interested in how they all compare to each other......
+1

FWIW, I too play a Gaia (I) and I'm a bit concerned with the updates. One of the advantages of these pieces (as I see it), is that, because they are CNC machined, you could always pick up a more or less identical piece if something happened to your main piece.

With the (rapidly) changing versions, it seems that this is no longer true.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I play the metal Gaia 2 for my Tenor as well as Alto. I find them to be effortless to use. Work very well with Legere Sig's., VD Java Greens and VD ZZ's.

It's the first metal piece I purchased for each horn and it will be the last.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I play the metal Gaia 2 for my Tenor as well as Alto. I find them to be effortless to use. Work very well with Legere Sig's., VD Java Greens and VD ZZ's.

It's the first metal piece I purchased for each horn and it will be the last.
I found I loved the VD ZZs on this mpc!

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Gaia mouthpieces 1, 2, and 3 are all great pieces, just slightly different flavors of the same idea....but each one an improvement over the previous version. We are constantly evolving. Theo is always working to improve the design of all of our mouthpieces, and that coincides with pioneering new machining techniques as well. Those two facets of mouthpiece making compliment each other and spur growth and improvement in each other as well.

The original Gaia was inspired by Theo's experience with Florida Links. Very similar in design, but with a few key baffle and chamber differences to reflect the some of the customization that Theo had done for folks in the past to make those pieces more efficient and come alive.

The Gaia 2 saw a few similar changes -- tweaks to the rollover baffle and some chamber shape changes (slightly higher floor and changes to the scooped sidewalls) to get better projection and more body (less stuffy) without changing the brightness of the piece.

The Gaia 3 is the culmination of a LOT of experimentation, prototypes, and trial and error. Theo figured out kind of a break-through in rollover baffle design that is really significant. I'm usually pretty conservative when talking about our mouthpieces and new features/designs because I'm sensitive to the fact that too much sensationalism can be seen as hype---this is not hype. More projection, more complex tone, super quick response....the Gaia 3 is a significant step forward in my opinion. There are some chamber geometry changes as well, and also notable are the precision grooves in the baffle (see picture below). We have experimented with acoustics and airflow for many years and developed this design to augment the efficiency of the mouthpiece. We are really proud of the Gaia 3.

View attachment 234338

·
Registered
627 Posts
Did you guys stop making the Amma because the Gaia was the new "medium" one in the line?

I loved the original Amma and wonder how different the Gaia is in Comparison.
That's correct--the Gaia replaced the Amma in that brightness/color range. The new Gaia is not quite as bright as the Amma was, but has the same (perhaps more) projection with more color and complexity to the tone. I think if you liked the original Amma that you would dig the Gaia 3.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The Gaia mouthpieces 1, 2, and 3 are all great pieces, just slightly different flavors of the same idea....but each one an improvement over the previous version. We are constantly evolving. Theo is always working to improve the design of all of our mouthpieces, and that coincides with pioneering new machining techniques as well. Those two facets of mouthpiece making compliment each other and spur growth and improvement in each other as well.

The original Gaia was inspired by Theo's experience with Florida Links. Very similar in design, but with a few key baffle and chamber differences to reflect the some of the customization that Theo had done for folks in the past to make those pieces more efficient and come alive.

The Gaia 2 saw a few similar changes -- tweaks to the rollover baffle and some chamber shape changes (slightly higher floor and changes to the scooped sidewalls) to get better projection and more body (less stuffy) without changing the brightness of the piece.

The Gaia 3 is the culmination of a LOT of experimentation, prototypes, and trial and error. Theo figured out kind of a break-through in rollover baffle design that is really significant. I'm usually pretty conservative when talking about our mouthpieces and new features/designs because I'm sensitive to the fact that too much sensationalism can be seen as hype---this is not hype. More projection, more complex tone, super quick response....the Gaia 3 is a significant step forward in my opinion. There are some chamber geometry changes as well, and also notable are the precision grooves in the baffle (see picture below). We have experimented with acoustics and airflow for many years and developed this design to augment the efficiency of the mouthpiece. We are really proud of the Gaia 3.

View attachment 234338
Has anybody done a comparison of the three? Like a video or a review where they play them all and discuss the differences?

If not, it would be pretty great if somebody would loan Steve Neff copies of all three Gaias so that he could do a comparison like that.

I realize it's not my any of my business to tell Steve what to review or tell mouthpiece makers who to send their pieces to. But you have to admit … that would be pretty great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
sounds kind of like my impressions with the mantra tenor piece that came with my horn... such a symbiotic stock pairing. at times a smidge too much edge, i can see why theo didn’t keep the piece around... but i sure do know i thoroughly enjoy playing it! spooner... don’t mean to tangent too far away from the original, but what’s your black nickel tenor like? i have one of the early models too, but the silver.

·
12,790 Posts
Has anybody done a comparison of the three? Like a video or a review where they play them all and discuss the differences?

If not, it would be pretty great if somebody would loan Steve Neff copies of all three Gaias so that he could do a comparison like that.

I realize it's not my any of my business to tell Steve what to review or tell mouthpiece makers who to send their pieces to. But you have to admit … that would be pretty great.
Since the other two aren't being made anymore I'm not sure how easy that would be. I am definitely up for trying the Gaia 3 tenor mouthpiece. Although I have to admit those ridges and the claim that they do something amazing seems a little bit like it is borrowed from the Sugal playbook of the "Parallel mini tracks" that supposedly focus airflow. I will not pass judgement though..........I'd love to try it!

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I can't think of any worst investment than buying a new Theo Wanne mouthpiece. You better make sure you like it because you won't be able to sell it for half of its bloviated price.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts