Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a tenor zephyr, serial 300XXX in excellent condition that belonged to a friend of mine who passed away. Other than a few scratches by the neck strap ring and a couple dimples on the bell and a couple discolored key cups, it looks almost un played. My friend had not played it since he graduated from high school in 1955 but kept it for sentimental reasons. The original rivet pads look to be in excellent condition, and the case is immaculate. It has the wire guards and the three hole neckstrap ring.

I inspected it once, but do not have it in my posession yet so I have not been able to play it.

What can you guys tell me about it? Is this a player or a sentimental keepsake? Is there anything I should know about it?

Finally, would it be better to replace the rivet pads with metal resonators, or are the rivet pads part of the character of the horn?

Thanks.

Marshall

·
Registered
571 Posts
It is a player!!!!!!

That horn should be lots of fun. The pads are a matter of taste and perhaps some superstition too! I currently have a Zephyr alto set up with plastic resonators that works quite well and a super 20 tenor with noyek resonators and roo pads that works very well too. I think most players are currently using resonators of some sort with Kings of this vintage. Enjoy the horn. Your friend left you something special to remember him by.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It should be a great horn. If it needs a re-pad I would opt for metal resonators, but not change just for the resonators.

smf

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have a beautiful PM Solid Nickel Silver Tenor but have not played it much for two years due to neck and back surgery. I've been hesitant to let it go but cannot justify hanging on to such a nice expensive instrument with my limitations. I've been wanting to trade it off for a pro soprano for some time but just love the horn and didn't want to be without a tenor in case I can play some in the future. Now I will be able to do that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You may like the Zephyr even more because I am guessing that it is lighter in weight than the PM.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took possession of the Zephyr last week and you were right in that it is a much lighter horn than my PM. This made playing it much easier than my PM. I made one mistake in the discription as it has reso's on the pads.

The horn is in excellent condition but has some leaks in the lower end that I need to get remedied. Otherwise it plays and sounds very good. I did some comparison playing on Saturday with my Morgan 6L mouthpiece by proping the horns up in front of me and find my PM to have a much richer and more robust core sound, but the sound of the Zephyr was nothing to frown about. I imagine that is rather subjective but my wife could tell the difference too. It came with the original mouthpiece and I actually found it to be an excellent piece which suited the horn very well.

All said, I am very happy with the horn.

Marshall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.