Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
I used to play alto saxophone as a musician in a tropical music band at ages 17-25..( In Caribbean country).
Now, at 61, I am returning to sax, but I prefer to play the Tenor. The kind of music I want to play is romantic,slow rythm in friends meetings and ocassionally in some party, but only "listening " music..not dance music. I enjoy the pleasant mood and warm sound of Stan Getz , as played in the"Bossa Nova " years, especially as "Samba Triste"..."Once Again" ..etc..Wich one of this two mouthpieces could give me a sound close to that one ? I know the importance of physical conditions, Throat, mouth, etc... and the quality of the horn... but ... I am in a country were there is not access to foreing money and I have been offerd to choose between this two. I read in the web that Getz used hard rubber Otto link 5* and at the Carnegie Hall he used Vandoren T20..I appreciate your wise advice.Humbardi

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Re: New Tenor mouthpiece pick...Otto Link Super Tone Master 5*( metal) vs. Vandoren T20 ( Hard rubb

Even if you hadn't mentioned it as one of your only two choices I would have recommended a rubber Otto Link around a 5* tip opening. That's definitely the one you want.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: New Tenor mouthpiece pick...Otto Link Super Tone Master 5*( metal) vs. Vandoren T20 ( Hard rubb

As i have been away from saxophones as much as 35 years , wich differences should I expect from Otto link STM 5* in Metal or Hard rubber ? Is it true that the metal mpc gives a more "brilliant" sound and the hard rubber one a more "dark" sound ( I do not know if those are the appropiate words ...! ). ? Thanks for your advice.. but I can only pick ( right now) between this two ( Otto link metal STM 5* and Vandoren T20 ).. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Oh I see your option is a metal link. The metal pieces respond a bit differently and feel different in your mouth. It will still definitely get you where you are going. The difference in sound you mention is not always the case, it depends a lot on the individual mouthpieces you are comparing. I would still go with the Otto Link.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Dear Dshook :
I am going for the metal...thanks for your advise..

·
Registered
114 Posts

The STM is a great piece, grumbles about inconsistency in all the Otto Links not withstanding. I picked up a used 7* a few years ago that is my main piece. It is a bit bright -- unlike the vintage Links as I understand it, but great on my old Martin. I also prefer the feel of the metal pieces -- a definite consideration when choosing a mpc. I don't know what selection of reeds you will have in Venezuela, but you can vary sounds easily with the reeds. For example, the Vandoren blue box tend to play quite mellow, while the LaVoz add just a bit of edge.

If you haven't ordered yet, you might also want to think about the HR Link. As I understand they are a tad darker (and I suspct the new Slant signatures even more so -- see thread on this forum). I've not found the material THAT important, so if they are darker I suspect it is because the chambers a slightly different. As you have probably seen, Getz claimed that he used the rubber because he couldn't find a metal piece that gave him the sound he was looking for. Coltrane presumably used the HR Link (and other HR pieces) on his ballads, but he used a custom wedge in his metal Link that would have kept him for getting the pure, mellow sound he achieved on the ballads.

Metal or rubber Link (I'm not a great fan of Vandoren) I think you will be able to get the sound you are looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts