Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

My first sax arrived today way ahead of shedule as it only left Taiwan on Monday - not bad going. First impressions are "wow" - nice quality, good finish and sounds like my Keilwerth but without the little pinky stretching. I like it a lot! But I'm only a beginner, the acid test won't be until a "proper techie" sees it in a week or so's time.

This sax rocks - I am so pleased! It is so strange that both Phil and I had the same idea at the same time... or maybe not, because he's right, the Taiwanese know what they're doing and it's all about having the right contacts and getting the right deal with people you can trust.

It's early days but effectively I'll be acting as UK and European agent for this manufacturer. Here're a couple of photo's for your amusement, if anyone in UK or Europe might potentially be interested then let me know. I cannot release too much info as yet, but the price will be highly competitive and the experience of the Taiwanese manufacturer is excellent, plus they're really nice guys to do business with!

All comments and suggestions are welcomed - positive or negative (there's no point in hiding from criticism, especially when very often it's meant positively anyway).

I will follow up with more information in a week or two.

·
Registered
342 Posts
looks nice. the key touchs are spiffy.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes they've done a good job cosmetically. The engraving is nice and the abalone is pretty without being over the top. I took it to my sax lesson this evening and my teacher was in a very literal sense blown away. God I wish I had his tone! He likes the mouthpiece so much he wants to buy it, so I've left it with him over the weekend. Is there any value in me recording him playing the horn and/or the mouthpiece, or is that not going to tell anyone anything much?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Looks similar to a cannonball alto I tried out for a friend a few years ago--which is to say, ergo-wise like a mark VI.

I'd have to get used to the abalone keys, but hey, I guess you can't hear them, can you?

When you gonna get a real horn (alto)?;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,025 Posts
Beating "you know who" to the punch: Where was it made and where is it labeled as such?

How about some of your teachers comments on the horn instead of a recording?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, the way I see it "you know who" is a good twenty plus years ahead of me ;), but it's such a strange coincidence about the timing isn't it? I reckon the whole Taiwan sax plus Barone mouthpiece idea is a fantastic one! No way would I even waste my time competing head to head with that kind of a deal, even assuming I want to compete with Phil... which I don't, I reckon he's got it made and I'm delighted for him :)

I couldn't resist putting these first photos up because I am very excited - you know what it's like when a new sax arrives - but I will indeed provide a proper review soon. There's no point me even trying to do it justice so I'm getting a proper technician to provide a full critical review for me but that won't be until end of next week or beginning of the one after. I will also ask for my teacher's proper comments as we were just playing around with it this evening before my lesson. He loved the tone and said he preferred it to his Yamaha 62. He liked the ergos, although the action needs adjusting as it's very heavy right now.

In answer to hakukani, the abalone comes in blue, grey or standard pearl white for a less conspicuous look. You can ditch the engraving. You can also have solid sterling silver, silver plate, gold plate or rose bronze. There's the potential for straight soprano, alto and baritone as well as proper (tenor) horns.

I'll be back in a week or so with progress reports and more photos...

edited to add: ooops sorry, they're made in Taiwan and I will also provide a factory history and some factory tour photos shortly. They have excellent experience but on top of that they are really pleasant people to deal with - I aim to go out there at some stage to meet them and tour the factory - anyone want to come? :D

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Phil Barone is talking of pro level saxes only. What level are your's Rick?

(... but it does look good, I have to say).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are way too good for professionals, they'd be wasted on them :D

My belief is that these are top class instruments but I cannot substantiate that until my techie has done his stuff because then it will be hard facts not sound bites. I am happy to share both the good and the bad that comes out of his review. If there are any specific questions that someone would want answered then feel free to say so (don't worry about the basics, they'll all be covered anyway).

I should also add a big public thank you to Phil Barone for his extremely useful advice yesterday via email, especially around mouthpieces - thanks Phil it really is appreciated!

Here's the bottom cluster, which I didn't show earlier...

·
Registered
249 Posts
taiwan sax

as a tech , with much experience, i must say it looks like every sax i see from taiwan. Which i may add is the "Elkhart" of the 21 century.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
If only they could get past the fake (please tell me they are fake) abalone key touches and move on i.e. back to white or black ones...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks these are just the sought of comments that are really useful to me, as my intention is to get this right and you guys know the difference between an OK sax and something special which helps me refine it.

brasscane said:
If only they could get past the fake (please tell me they are fake) abalone key touches and move on i.e. back to white or black ones...
No they are real as it happens! As mentioned before they also do more subtle colours if that is your preference. Please see below...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Nice looking sax. Glad you are getting real engraving. I'm not a fan of the abalone look, but nice to have options. So, will they have "The Adams Family of Saxes" engraved on them for a brand name?

·
13,025 Posts
Joe Jazz said:
Nice looking sax. Glad you are getting real engraving. I'm not a fan of the abalone look, but nice to have options. So, will they have "The Adams Family of Saxes" engraved on them for a brand name?
EYEBALL key touches!!! Well touches that look like eyes anyway. Man The whole ADAMs family of saxes could be the biggest thing since color TV. I have an all black soprano I'm going to call Morticia from now on! (Got it from PB a few years ago!)

I wonder what Jason would charge to engrave this on my bell?

Seriously, is there the option to NOT have high F# or G?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Carl H. said:
Seriously, is there the option to NOT have high F# or G?
Ditto that. I was a lil' disappointed to see that Phil was going to add a high G.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dadadadum click click,
Dadadadum click click,
Dadadadum,
Dadadadum,
Dadadadum click click

:)

Hey Carl, I am in entire agreement re the "Made in..." thing. The P Mauriat Paris" thing is the only thing about P Mauriats that annnoys me, otherwise they're excellent.

I will ask regarding no high F# or G and let you know tomorrow (they'll be in bed now)

I don't want to discose prices until I've agreed the specifications because I don't want to disappoint. Say for example I find that I need to ask them to use better quality steel in their springs, or better pads, etc. then this will affect the price. Please bear with me on price for a week or two.

I'm thinking of using song titles as model names - good idea or stupid?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
Rick Adams said:
No they are real as it happens!
Then everyone should stay away from them. Abalone's are over-"fished".

While we (I'm) are at it, BBC news yesterday had Green Room on giant squid which are unintenionally (for now) cought while deep fishing for Chilean Sea Bass and alike. Anyone ever had Chilean Sea Bass or Orange Roughy? Totally overfished within less than a decade. An Orange Roughy makes it to a 150 years (!) and takes several decades to become fertile, so the stock is not easily replenishable after over-fishing.

Sorry for sidestepping the topic but I would urge you to buy horns with the regular or fake pearl inlay saxes instead.

·
13,025 Posts
Thing, Gomez, Lurch, and of course lovely morticia!

If it wasn't for copyright issues it would be a nice boutique lineup. Maybe a special order? Double coffin style cases made for Gomez and Morticia?

I know the name Adams is already in use for instrument racks and percussion instruments, have you come up with a name for the sax brand yet?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No names have been decided yet :)

I will ask about ethical sourcing of abalone as I believe this is achievable and also about alternatives.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts