Sax on the Web Forum banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,504 Posts
There is also something weird about the intonation when using this reed for a longer period of time. It works ok for an hour or two but than it seems to be harder to control.
I noticed this too on my clarinet reed.

I think I read something about this on the box or online when I got my first Euro clarinet reed. Apparently the performance of the reed changes during extended practice sessions. It seems to go back to normal the next time I play, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,550 Posts
Do you guys remember that Ernie Watts played a synthetic Reed that went out of business ? Evidently though he bought up a whole bunch of them but that was quite a while ago. Anybody remember what it was he played and if he’s still has them left or is he had to switch to something?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Do you guys remember that Ernie Watts played a synthetic Reed that went out of business ? Evidently though he bought up a whole bunch of them but that was quite a while ago. Anybody remember what it was he played and if he’s still has them left or is he had to switch to something?
Clarion Fibercane. I think he still plays them. He uses real cane on everything but tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,120 Posts
I bought one of the American cut Legeres - (I’ve been playing their Studio Cut almost exclusively for 5 years or so.) The AC reed ‘chirps’ on most higher notes. It’s the oddest thing. I haven’t had that problem in decades. I only have three Tenor MPC’s. It chirps on all three. It chirps on multiple saxes. Ligatures and reed placement don’t fix it. I can hear the chirp wanting to happen even when it doesn’t. It’s a shame really. I’m a big fan of the Legeres but not this one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just got a quarter strenght softer American Cut reed and it's much more to my liking. Articulation feels great on this one. It's brighter, projects better and feels much more similar to D'addario Select Jazz 3S Filed than the 2.50 was. So for me Legere American Cut 2.25 is similar in strenght to RSJ 3S.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just got a quarter strenght softer American Cut reed and it's much more to my liking. Articulation feels great on this one. It's brighter, projects better and feels much more similar to D'addario Select Jazz 3S Filed than the 2.50 was. So for me Legere American Cut 2.25 is similar in strenght to RSJ 3S.
Lots of people seem to like a 2.25. I find it strange as I thought it was much too soft and have settled on a 2.75,coming from a RSJ 3M unfiled.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I find that they are close to being 3/4 stiffer. i.e. Java 2 1/2 = Legere 1.75
Seems like this agrees pretty much with Fader's post. 3/4 added to a Legere 2.25 give Java 3, which some would say is about equivalent in strength to Select Jazz 3S. It may depend on the whether the Java is red or green but that is close. Obviously there are issues of response and tone quality so "equivalent in strength" does not tell the whole story.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Peter , i am using same D'addario Select Jazz 2H & 3S Filed on JozdyJazz SuperJet 7

Legere American Cut 2.25 similar 3S
Legere American Cut 2 similar 2H

i stay between the two , 😳

what do you think, if perfect match 3S & American Cut 2.25 , i can ordering

Thank You.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello Peter , i am using same D'addario Select Jazz 2H & 3S Filed on JozdyJazz SuperJet 7

Legere American Cut 2.25 similar 3S
Legere American Cut 2 similar 2H

i stay between the two , 😳

what do you think, if perfect match 3S & American Cut 2.25 , i can ordering

Thank You.
2.25 should be fine for you. If it doesn't they have an exchange program which is awesome.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I got an AC 2.25 last week. This is the first synthetic reed I've ever played. I'm not at the level of most of you but here are my impressions.

I've been playing 2.5 Java reds for a couple years. The 2.25 AC was suggested as the same strength and I have to agree. It is at the same strength as most of the 2.5 Java Reds in a box. Given that 3 out of 10 Java reds seem to play significantly harder than the rest, this was great. It was a great relief to find out Legere's comparison chart was accurate.

My tone at loud dynamics is the same as with the Java Reds. At softer dynamics it seems to either play dully or to kind of subtone - the same kind of breathiness as a deliberate subtone. At this point I can't recommend it for symphonic/classical/solo performing or anywhere where dynamics are important. This is unrelated to its inherent brightness; I just find it loses any personality below mf. Maybe this will go away as I get more experience playing it.

Finally, I have a feeling that reed placement is more important with the AC than with cane reeds. Some minor reed/ligature adjustments have had dramatic effects on tone. Are all synthetic reeds translucent? I wish there was some color to the reed to make placement easier.

I'm definitely pleased with the reed and will continue playing it.
OK I'm taking this back a little. After playing on it for a few weeks, I think it's too soft. I'm going back to the 2.5 Java Reds. Sometime in the future I'll spurge on the next harder cut of Legere, but for now I'll stick with cane. Or maybe I should look at the Signature. But I can't be spending $30 a pop on experimentation.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
OK I'm taking this back a little. After playing on it for a few weeks, I think it's too soft. I'm going back to the 2.5 Java Reds. Sometime in the future I'll spurge on the next harder cut of Legere, but for now I'll stick with cane. Or maybe I should look at the Signature. But I can't be spending $30 a pop on experimentation.
Are they not replacing when sent back?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, I've heard they soften and settle after around 3 hours of playing and that seems to be what has happened to mine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,308 Posts
Initially, I preferred the signature to the AC on my tenor but I went back to the AC and really like it. The 2.5 on my .110 mouthpiece was just a touch on the strong side and dipping it in boiling water for two seconds got it perfect.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Initially, I preferred the signature to the AC on my tenor but I went back to the AC and really like it. The 2.5 on my .110 mouthpiece was just a touch on the strong side and dipping it in boiling water for two seconds got it perfect.
I do find the AC brighter than Java's but not as stuffy as the Signature.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,048 Posts
I like the American cut better than I thought I would after my initial test run. It works great for me with brighter lead pieces with high baffles. I am still partial to the Studio though and use that for more subdued music.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now that it seems to be the consensus that the VENN is a bust and disappointment, (going by reviews on SOTW)
I haven't tried it myself. I was going to ask if there was anything new (Synthetic) on the horizon and Legere has answered !!
The new American Cut - I will be waiting to try one - I play Tenor mostly. I hope it will be priced reasonably (I know, reasonable is different for each of us)
Supposed to be available in October
As a side note, and to further rag on Fibracel, I can't understand how any company that had a good thing going, would let the product go to hell -
with lack of QC or just lose interest ?? To make matters worse, players say when they contact Fibracel, they are rude, condescending, and completely unhelpful. Long known for being a weird company, I don't get it. But Legere and Fiberreed are trying to keep us in the game
Thanks
I play Tenor and I got the Legere American Cut in a 2.5. I also bought the D'Addario VENN in 2.25 and 2.5. For me, the VENN is way more what I wanted! To my ears it's much more like cane and I find it's better for my articulation. The aesthetic is great too, it looks and feels a little more like a real cane reed. The American Cut sounds pretty, I don't know - nasal? Basically I can't get big full, rich tone out of it. If I was going to buy Legere again I would likely go back to the Signature. What I would love is to have the VENN reeds come in a nice handy carrying case like the one that the Legere American Cut comes in.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I play Tenor and I got the Legere American Cut in a 2.5. I also bought the D'Addario VENN in 2.25 and 2.5. For me, the VENN is way more what I wanted! To my ears it's much more like cane and I find it's better for my articulation. The aesthetic is great too, it looks and feels a little more like a real cane reed. The American Cut sounds pretty, I don't know - nasal? Basically I can't get big full, rich tone out of it. If I was going to buy Legere again I would likely go back to the Signature. What I would love is to have the VENN reeds come in a nice handy carrying case like the one that the Legere American Cut comes in.
The VENN doesn't come in a 2.25. (I wish it did!) Do you mean the 2.0? Somewhat surprisingly, I find myself leaning more toward the VENN now too. (The improved version, not the original.) I've experimented with the American Cut on alto for a while, and although I enjoy the reed's responsiveness, I think it's a little too bright for classical playing, even in the 2.75 and 3.0 strengths I've tested. I think you can use the AC for concert band, depending on the type of music, and obviously it would be great for a marching band or anything with electric instruments, but if your individual tone is going to be seriously scrutinized, you'll probably want something more refined. But the VENN seems nice and dark even on a Selmer Concept or Yanagisawa AC150, both of which are lively, colorful classical mouthpieces. The reed's ridiculously overhard strength profile and the lack of quarter-strengths means that the only VENN I'm completely comfortable with is the 2.0, but it's not bad.

I like the VENN's simple plastic reed sleeve better as well. The new giant Legere reed case takes up too much space and is too hard to use; it feels as though I'm risking the tip of the reed every time I try to pry it out of the case. And the amount of plastic involved is distressing for a disposable item.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The VENN doesn't come in a 2.25. (I wish it did!) Do you mean the 2.0? Somewhat surprisingly, I find myself leaning more toward the VENN now too. (The improved version, not the original.) I've experimented with the American Cut on alto for a while, and although I enjoy the reed's responsiveness, I think it's a little too bright for classical playing, even in the 2.75 and 3.0 strengths I've tested. I think you can use the AC for concert band, depending on the type of music, and obviously it would be great for a marching band or anything with electric instruments, but if your individual tone is going to be seriously scrutinized, you'll probably want something more refined. But the VENN seems nice and dark even on a Selmer Concept or Yanagisawa AC150, both of which are lively, colorful classical mouthpieces. The reed's ridiculously overhard strength profile and the lack of quarter-strengths means that the only VENN I'm completely comfortable with is the 2.0, but it's not bad.

I like the VENN's simple plastic reed sleeve better as well. The new giant Legere reed case takes up too much space and is too hard to use; it feels as though I'm risking the tip of the reed every time I try to pry it out of the case. And the amount of plastic involved is distressing for a disposable item.
Yeah, so I went and double-checked, I thought I had a 2.25 and a 2.5 VENN and they're actually both 2.5's. I agree with your observation that the VENN is darker, which I enjoy. Funny, I actually thought of just keeping the plastic case from the American Cut and using it long-term for my VENNs or other synthetic reeds. I like the way it snaps out kind of sideways. I'm usually worried more about damage with the D'Addario sleeve! <smile> To each their own! Saxophonists always seem to have our own particular way of approaching everything, right?

141 - 160 of 160 Posts