Sax on the Web Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I personally like the new Legere reed cases. Yeah these synthetic reeds never warp so I don't think keeping them on a flat surface is necessary. In fact I like these cases so much, I am using them for my Silverstein Alta Ambipoly reeds too.
Actually, I've had Legere Signatures warp. Not potato-chip waves all across the tip, but one or two mine have developed a single ripple. And they seem to be permanently set that way - they don't get better (or worse) if I play on them or leave them stored for a while. I always store them in a Rico (D'Addario) case, the kind with a black elastic band to hold each reed in place.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Well, I got my AC after four and a half weeks. As I said previously, it's not like I'm gigging right now. But, I have to say that it kind of makes my Sakshama Zimberoff (now a Custom Z) kind of come alive. It's the best reed I've used on that particular piece in four years. I tried Hartmann Onyx on it and it was just too "brittle" sounding. Probably the best before the AC was a Signature. It was good but had a slightly stuffy sound. The AC brightened it up without shattering any wine glasses. I haven't tried it yet on my Saxcape but that one is very reed friendly so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Stay safe everyone!
George

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Still diggin' the AC on the Sakshama...
But, interestingly, it doesn't do much for me on the Saxcape Xtra Dark which was worked on by Brian Powell. It's kind of stuffy like the Signature was on the metal Sakshama.
Go figure!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Man for me an AC cut tenor sax 2.75 blows much harder than a Signature 2.75. Perhaps because my mpc has thin rails and AC cut is wider. Where the side rails hit the AC reed is more inward from the edge than with the Signature, so this may make the AC reed respond like it is harder. I may exchange for another Signature 2.75 rather than an AC 2.5.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Man for me an AC cut tenor sax 2.75 blows much harder than a Signature 2.75. Perhaps because my mpc has thin rails and AC cut is wider. Where the side rails hit the AC reed is more inward from the edge than with the Signature, so this may make the AC reed respond like it is harder. I may exchange for another Signature 2.75 rather than an AC 2.5.
Yes, I had the same experience. Been playing Signature 2.75 for years. When I got the AC 2.75 I felt the same way. Great sounding but quite harder to play. Their replacement program is awesome though. I’ve exchanged it for a 2.5 and that’s just perfect. Because of COVID they are not even taking the other one back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,957 Posts
Maybe my 2.75 Signatures are pretty worn out, because I am finding even the 2.5 AC feels a little harder. It feels like there is some real promise there, though.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Guto, did you like your AC 2.5 better than the Signature 2.75?
I’m a bit torn. As he said in the video the AC is a different beast. I still feel more comfortable on the Signature but I’m enjoying the brightness of the AC. My sound is usually dark. The AC gives it a nice counter balance. But I can’t say I have it under control yet. Time will tell.

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
471 Posts
I’m a bit torn. As he said in the video the AC is a different beast. I still feel more comfortable on the Signature but I’m enjoying the brightness of the AC. My sound is usually dark. The AC gives it a nice counter balance. But I can’t say I have it under control yet. Time will tell.
Yeah after playing it for a few weeks, I would only use the AC do brighten up a very dark mouthpiece such as a Phil tone. But for my relatively bright mouthpieces I still prefer the signature series.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
10 days later, I must say I find myself going back to my trusted Signature more often than not. What I'm finding odd about the AC is that it seems to demand a very different embouchure control than cane reeds (or the Signature). The muscles in the middle of cheeks get really tired after a session playing them. Maybe it's because I'm subconsciously trying to counter its brightness. Maybe with time I'd get more used to it, but why bother when I like the Signature already? As many say, after a while playing a new equipment one ends up sounds the same, no mater the horn. I'm afraid my AC experimentation is reaching an end... On the flip side it made me appreciate even more how much I enjoy playing the Signature cut.

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
471 Posts
10 days later, I must say I find myself going back to my trusted Signature more often than not. What I'm finding odd about the AC is that it seems to demand a very different embouchure control than cane reeds (or the Signature). The muscles in the middle of cheeks get really tired after a session playing them. Maybe it's because I'm subconsciously trying to counter its brightness. Maybe with time I'd get more used to it, but why bother when I like the Signature already? As many say, after a while playing a new equipment one ends up sounds the same, no mater the horn. I'm afraid my AC experimentation is reaching an end... On the flip side it made me appreciate even more how much I enjoy playing the Signature cut.
Yep. I came to the same conclusion. I concluded I prefer the Signature to the AC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought one of these Legere American Cut reeds last week and so far it works fine. Never tried synthetic before so I need to spend some more time with it as it feels different than cane but it might be usefull to have one in my saxophone case. I did a blind comparison between this Legere and my trusty D'addario Select Jazz and I'm curious if you can guess which is which.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,504 Posts
I bought one of these Legere American Cut reeds last week and so far it works fine. Never tried synthetic before so I need to spend some more time with it as it feels different than cane but it might be usefull to have one in my saxophone case. I did a blind comparison between this Legere and my trusty D'addario Select Jazz and I'm curious if you can guess which is which.
Pawel, you sound great! I did guess correctly and I won't spoil by commenting which one is which.

I feel like a few things that I experienced when play testing the American cut can be heard to some degree in your recorded sample. The cane reed retains its tone colour at all dynamics, but I can hear a change to the sound when you play at extreme dynamics on the Legere. The other thing is that the attack is slightly less consistent on the Legere, and it sometimes seems to have a slight edge when articulating almost like the sound produced when someone articulates too hard on a reed that's too soft.

One thing I found with the Legere when I test played it was that I totally didn't agree with the strength recommendations from the manufacturer. I found that when I picked a reed for its response, the sound was nasal and plasticky, and that when I picked a reed for its sound, the strength was just too soft. I couldn't get the balance right, which is the main reason I didn't make the switch to plastic. I'm curious as to whether you experienced this too.

As a side note, I think the American cut is a fantastic reed and probably the best synthetic sax reed ever produced. It's miles ahead of any other plastic reed I've played on sax and it gives me hope for the future of synthetic reeds. It's totally unsurprising to me that people are making the switch. I use one on my alto for teaching purposes because it's just so practical!

·
Registered
306 Posts
If there are only subtle differences in tone and feel, I don't understand anyone using real cane reeds....messing with them, inconsistency within one box of them, depression when a favorite finally dies, longevity, need to keep moist, ease of destruction......Did I miss any?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pawel, you sound great! I did guess correctly and I won't spoil by commenting which one is which.

I feel like a few things that I experienced when play testing the American cut can be heard to some degree in your recorded sample. The cane reed retains its tone colour at all dynamics, but I can hear a change to the sound when you play at extreme dynamics on the Legere. The other thing is that the attack is slightly less consistent on the Legere, and it sometimes seems to have a slight edge when articulating almost like the sound produced when someone articulates too hard on a reed that's too soft.

One thing I found with the Legere when I test played it was that I totally didn't agree with the strength recommendations from the manufacturer. I found that when I picked a reed for its response, the sound was nasal and plasticky, and that when I picked a reed for its sound, the strength was just too soft. I couldn't get the balance right, which is the main reason I didn't make the switch to plastic. I'm curious as to whether you experienced this too.

As a side note, I think the American cut is a fantastic reed and probably the best synthetic sax reed ever produced. It's miles ahead of any other plastic reed I've played on sax and it gives me hope for the future of synthetic reeds. It's totally unsurprising to me that people are making the switch. I use one on my alto for teaching purposes because it's just so practical!
Thanks! I totally agree with your statement about the attack being less consistent with Legere. It was the first thing that I didn't like about it but after a week I got used to it and now it feels better. There is also something weird about the intonation when using this reed for a longer period of time. It works ok for an hour or two but than it seems to be harder to control. Never had this issue with cane reeds. Didn't had a chance to try different strenghts yet but the 2,50 feels close to Select Jazz 3S. Maybe a tiny bit stiffer. I do use it for teaching as well and it works fine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I got an AC 2.25 last week. This is the first synthetic reed I've ever played. I'm not at the level of most of you but here are my impressions.

I've been playing 2.5 Java reds for a couple years. The 2.25 AC was suggested as the same strength and I have to agree. It is at the same strength as most of the 2.5 Java Reds in a box. Given that 3 out of 10 Java reds seem to play significantly harder than the rest, this was great. It was a great relief to find out Legere's comparison chart was accurate.

My tone at loud dynamics is the same as with the Java Reds. At softer dynamics it seems to either play dully or to kind of subtone - the same kind of breathiness as a deliberate subtone. At this point I can't recommend it for symphonic/classical/solo performing or anywhere where dynamics are important. This is unrelated to its inherent brightness; I just find it loses any personality below mf. Maybe this will go away as I get more experience playing it.

Finally, I have a feeling that reed placement is more important with the AC than with cane reeds. Some minor reed/ligature adjustments have had dramatic effects on tone. Are all synthetic reeds translucent? I wish there was some color to the reed to make placement easier.

I'm definitely pleased with the reed and will continue playing it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The AC is the 1st synth reed since the early Fibracells that actually sound good. The intonation and control is definitely more difficult than cane for me though. I'll keep at it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I watched Pawel’s video, and the differences to me were quite obvious. I “guessed” correctly. I have tried the Legere Signature on soprano and tenor, and decided to stay with cane.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts