Sax on the Web Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,048 Posts
Personally, I think Legere' is a great company and somewhat responsive when emailed. I shift between Studio and Signature and its made life easier because of
its consistency and its tone.
The only thing I can not pin them down on is when they are going to print strength directly on the reed.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,048 Posts
I read an article by Legere almost a year ago that they are changing over but all my purchases have had the sticker.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Hey everyone...
I read a couple of weeks ago that some of you were getting the AC from Pro Winds, so I ordered one from them, under the impression that they were in stock. I called them last week and a very nice gentleman apologized and said he was having trouble getting them and that he had some coming in this week. So I called a little earlier today and he said maybe next week. He said he had plenty of altos but the 2, 2.25 and 2.5's are selling like hotcakes.
Anyone else having trouble getting them? I mean, I don't need if for a gig...I'm just anxious to try it!

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
471 Posts
Hey everyone...
I read a couple of weeks ago that some of you were getting the AC from Pro Winds, so I ordered one from them, under the impression that they were in stock. I called them last week and a very nice gentleman apologized and said he was having trouble getting them and that he had some coming in this week. So I called a little earlier today and he said maybe next week. He said he had plenty of altos but the 2, 2.25 and 2.5's are selling like hotcakes.
Anyone else having trouble getting them? I mean, I don't need if for a gig...I'm just anxious to try it!
I ordered one for alto and one for tenor from Pro Winds over 2 weeks ago and the alto came but the invoice said the tenor is back ordered. Woodwind and Brasswind just sent an email today advertising they now have them in stock.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Just got my American Cut 2.75. Nice reed! I've been a fan of the Signature for many years. This one may take its place in my reed case...

I don't get the case it comes in though. It elevates the reed from the case flat bottom of the case by its thicker part. The reed tip floats above it, prone to warping. The case looks too nice to be disposable. How did they miss this, or was it designed this way on purpose, for some reason? This is not adding up :(

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I think the case is to prevent damage in shipping.
I do not use it after I open it. What a waste.
Look at how it ships with the lid open. If it was meant to be disposed it wouldn't have that lid. The lid serves no purpose in protecting it during shipping. This looks like an oversight when they designed the white rubber reed holder piece. Maybe that piece was supposed to extend all the way under the reed tip?

I just wrote their customer service (can't help it...) asking for an explanation. Even their site says "Légère single reeds should be stored on a flat surfaced reed case."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Got the 2.5 and 2.75 for alto (usually i play Java Red 3 or Rigitti Gold 3). The 2.5 feels quite perfect, while i also could getting used to the higher resistance of the 2.75. I tried several synthetic reeds for alto in the past, but this stands out by far as being the most responsive and tone-wise closest to cane. It has a slight buzz, with i sometimes like, sometimes it is a little to much for my taste. However, i practiced a week with these reeds now and see no real reason not to keep using them - i am happy with them. Now the HH Carbon Onyx is the 2. best synthetic i tried so far ;) While i like the signatures on tenor, i did not like them at all on the alto. I will try the american cut on Tenor soon.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,345 Posts
I have a soundclip that compares both Legere American Cut and D'addario Jeazz Select (I accidentaly did a second take nwith a different reed and mixed the two takes together so you may be able to spot the difference.

See:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
FWIW, Legere replied to my enquiry saying they designed the reed tip to be floating in this case on purpose. They said it is to better protect it in case of "extreme transit", and also said their reeds do not warp like cane, unless played under extreme conditions, like players that play with very strong articulation. Not so convincing to me, but at least they stand behind their design.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I received my American Cut for tenor from Amazon and after playing it throughout the weekend, here are my impressions. I do like the tone and response for jazz better than the Signature cut. The altissimo response is excellent and it subtones well. The tone is just a little brighter than the Signature and the response is in my opinion a little more free blowing than the Signature. However, I still think the Alta Ambipoly Jazz reed by Silverstein Works is by far the best synthetic ever made (and I have tried them all). The Silverstein is to me the only reed with a warm, cane-like response and tone. Silverstein claims this reed was designed to absorb moisture just like cane. I can't say for certain that is the reason, but playing is believing. The Silverstein sounds amazing on any mouthpiece I have tried it on, whether hard rubber, metal, small or large tip opening. The Silverstein Jazz produces about the same amount of buzz as a cane reed. I think my altissimo sounds better on the Silverstein than a cane reed. I have always found cane to be rather bright in the altissimo register, especially with my *8 metal jazz mouthpieces but the Silverstein produces a tone that darkens up the altissimo register nicely. The Silverstein is expensive and as of now you can only get their clarinet and alto reeds from Woodwind and Brasswind, so you have to order the tenor reeds directly from Silverstein. However it was worth the money. I have been playing on the same Silverstein Alta Ambipoly tenor reed since January and I play my tenor around 5 to 15 hours a week. So I am expecting to get a year, maybe a year and a half out of this reed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I still haven't received the AC 2,25 that I was offered for testing (no strings attached); seems like there is a lot of demand, and the shop (or importer) cannot keep up.
In the meanwhile I am revisiting the Legere Signature reeds, and I am reminded again that placement on the mouthpiece is critical, much more than with cane reeds (my to-go reeds are LaVoz). Makes the difference between a great full sound, and shallow harshness without midtones.
I am looking forward to testing the American Cut, but I am not looking for a brighter reed than the Signatures. So I am curious if it is for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have noticed that my Legere AC tenor has a wider tip than my Vandoren reeds. Makes it hard to insert into my Protec reed case. May have to continue to use Legere's case.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have noticed that my Legere AC tenor has a wider tip than my Vandoren reeds. Makes it hard to insert into my Protec reed case. May have to continue to use Legere's case.
I personally like the new Legere reed cases. Yeah these synthetic reeds never warp so I don't think keeping them on a flat surface is necessary. In fact I like these cases so much, I am using them for my Silverstein Alta Ambipoly reeds too.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts