Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barely. Went straight from the shipping box to my tech. Damaged in transit, pushed in bell brace, ovaled and slightly bent body. Was going to send it back but my tech said it was a good starting point, and Cleveland S20 baris seem to be few and far between. Seller kicked back $300 which will help and price was fair to begin with. Relacquered horn. Will post pics when I get it back, which may be a bit since he has a mountain of school instruments in the shop right now...

Late Cleveland, sterling neck. Not a looker, hopefully a player:)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Congrats! I played an S20 tenor for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing! The old Kings roar.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! I played an S20 tenor for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing! The old Kings roar.
Indeed. I just picked up a S20 tenor a couple months ago and it has substantially displaced my Martin Comm III tenor. Hence my interest in the bari to see how it compares to my Comm III bari!

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I suspect the Super 20 baritone is acoustically very similar or identical to the Zephyr baritone, with a silver neck and updated bell key mechanism. If that's the case it should be a monster. I've only played a Super 20 baritone once or twice and thought it was a great horn (though the LH little finger keys are in a different place than my Conn so I kept missing them), but I played a Zephyr for a year or so and it had a great "Creamy" powerful tone, that can project when needed, or blend when needed, as well as the Conn, but differently.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect the Super 20 baritone is acoustically very similar or identical to the Zephyr baritone, with a silver neck and updated bell key mechanism. If that's the case it should be a monster. I've only played a Super 20 baritone once or twice and thought it was a great horn (though the LH little finger keys are in a different place than my Conn so I kept missing them), but I played a Zephyr for a year or so and it had a great "Creamy" powerful tone, that can project when needed, or blend when needed, as well as the Conn, but differently.
That's what I've heard, same body tube but same-side bell keys and improved keywork. If it compares to my Comm III the way the tenor does I'll be happy! Just hoping my tech can get the body tube back in shape...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I've heard, same body tube but same-side bell keys and improved keywork. If it compares to my Comm III the way the tenor does I'll be happy:) Just hoping my tech can get the body tube back in shape!

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
Barely. Went straight from the shipping box to my tech. Damaged in transit, pushed in bell brace, ovaled and slightly bent body. Was going to send it back but my tech said it was a good starting point, and Cleveland S20 baris seem to be few and far between. Seller kicked back $300 which will help and price was fair to begin with. Relacquered horn. Will post pics when I get it back, which may be a bit since he has a mountain of school instruments in the shop right now...

Late Cleveland, sterling neck. Not a looker, hopefully a player:)
Congrats Mark, i've been playing my S20 bari for over 21 years now.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Good luck on the repair, sounds like a big job. Mine took so long that I eventually bought another bari, but when it was done, it was better than ever.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck on the repair, sounds like a big job. Mine took so long that I eventually bought another bari, but when it was done, it was better than ever.
My tech thinks not so bad but I'm skeptical. The body tube is ovaled near the impact zone, I can't imagine that being straightforward:) But I am confident he'll get it done and it will be in great playing condition when he's done!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts