Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the same strap for now almost 8 years. It's one that I got with my keilwerth tenor. The hook is in plastic. Should I get a new one, since this one is pretty old? It doesn't look broken or anything, but who knows it might suddenly break.

edit: it has a "swivel" hook, like in this pic:

If so: then I'm planning on getting some Black NeoTech strap. I've tested one, and it is a bit elastic, and soft so it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Neotech straps are very nice. I don't get near the strain on my neck that I used to, but I do have to keep adjusting it. It seems to slip a little. Still, I wouldn't go back to the relatively thin strip of leather on the back of my neck that never slipped...

I hate to buy stuff I don't need, but it couldn't hurt to have a spare neckstrap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
Hammertime said:
I have the same strap for now almost 8 years. It's one that I got with my keilwerth tenor. The hook is in plastic. Should I get a new one, since this one is pretty old? It doesn't look broken or anything, but who knows it might suddenly break.

edit: it has a "swivel" hook, like in this pic:

If so: then I'm planning on getting some Black NeoTech strap. I've tested one, and it is a bit elastic, and soft so it's very comfortable.
Don't know why your original strap would break unless you've exposed it to some harsh conditions. Does it look worn, or deteriorated in any way?

I had a private teacher who hated NeoTech stretch straps because, he said, they are often in need of adjustment throughout a gig as they tend to stretch with playing time and are not always at the ideal length for optimum playing, or something like that. Whatever, I've not used a stretch strap since receiving his guidance and, obviously, have no issues with the strap causing the sax to move from the ideal position after making the initial adjustment.

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts
Hammertime-

It is always a good idea to regularly inspect all components of your strap to make sure that there is not excessive wear at any point. Different players wear through straps at different rates. I have seen players with our straps go 10+ years without any appreciable wear at all, but some players are tougher on straps than others. Our plastic hooks are made of a fiberglass-impregnated material that will not snap unless it is suddenly jerked upon. Some of our older hooks had been known to slightly stretch open in hot climates. (Usually we only saw this problem in marching bands.)

As for slipping, again it is a matter of individual players and their particular styles. As Goodsax mentions, some players need adjusting of the strap over the course of a gig, but this is not due to stretch but rather the webbing gradually working itself backward through the adjustment slider. When constant pressure is kept on the strap it will not slip. But if the weight is coming off of and onto the strap it will slip little by little and need readjusting.

I have just spoken to our engineering department about this and they are trying to think of ways to eliminate this minor slipping, while still retaining the ability to quickly and single-handedly adjust the strap.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I was just going to post about this when I found this thread. My friend complained he once had a neotech strap and the hook unclipped somehow and his horn fell, and told me to never buy one. However, they seemed to be the best at my local music store and I have no problem with mine in the classic style. It is very comfortable and works great. I am glad to hear the hooks have gotten better. Even though the hook looks sound I just wanted to check. :razz:

btw - I like the fact it is easy to adjust. I do not have problems with slippage on my alto, although I did prefer a non stretchy strap when I was playing tenor. My non stretchy strap on tenor was a horrible pain to adjust though.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
I was just going to post about this when I found this thread. My friend complained he once had a neotech strap and the hook unclipped somehow and his horn fell, and told me to never buy one.
You should always have a hand on your horn. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security by the clip.
I read a post here a while back by someone saying they bought a new neckstrap every year whether they thought they needed it or not. A good policy, as those plastic clips don't last forever.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And after a while something weard usually happens to it. It gets a bit glassy, so it's harder but breaks easyer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New CooLanyard Strap

I spent time in the forums researching the likes and dislikes of sax straps. After I reviewed all info I could find I designed a new type sax strap. It is unlike any other strap on the market.

On fit, it contours on the neck with a solid feel of comfort and actually distributes the instruments weight that could best be described as a whisper feel across the neck.

The CooLanyard Cinches pull the instrument up into position and once set do not slip. Single ThinLine strap with double cinches.

The CooLock end dissimular metal problems ie steel to brass and also end cosmetic dings. The connector gently and securely holds the sax to the strap.

Everything on the CooLanyard sax strap moves and flows freely. Lots of moving parts. Lots of up and down adjustment.

Please check it out!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
So, you just slip the T through the instrument mooring port!

Genius!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I can't stand straps that are elasticated (eg the most popular (?) Neotech model in the uk - you see a lot in shops). Why put yourself in a position where the sax is going to be bouncing around like that? I don't need that unsteadiness. I just don't get it as a design feature. DeJacques straps are the best i've come across but they are very expensive and from the info in another thread i think they're hard to get hold of in the States.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
961 Posts
Rooty, the Neotech straps are not for me, either, my theory being that you need a VERY stable platform so that you can relax your fingers for optimum technique.......... I just bought one of the new Rico straps (about ten bucks, I think), and I love it........ it's a string strap, so I don't know how long it will last, but I think I'll buy a spare..........

·
Banned
624 Posts
I have a stretchy strap I bought for my alto. I think the sax wobbling on the strap is more of an issue with tenor. I still want to experiment with different straps though, because I don't see much of a benefit to the stretchiness from a playing perspective (only comfort.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts