Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my favorite MPs so far. I've got 4 of them with #2 to #3 chambers and also with the chambers opened up by myself on a mill to about #3-1/2. Opening up a steel MP with a fat sounding chamber is a sweet combo. I use a .120 tip opening for practice and quiet gigs. A .130" tip for loud gigs with amps etc.

Custom 3-1/2 chamber shown below

View attachment 249834

The Brancher lig is also my favorite - it holds the reed more securely than other ligs. The silicone pad is more comfortable than hard plastic. I get it with a PSA adhesive from McMaster Carr. Cut them with a razor blade and stick em on. They last about 6 months or so until the adhesive starts to give but are easy to replace.

The brass spacer glued on top of the MP takes up slack between the lig and the reed because the Brancher lig doesn't fit without it.

View attachment 249836

Another plus with steel MPs is their durability. They don't seem to wear. You can even throw one at your late to a gig bassist and it will just bounce off undamaged.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Can you imagine the comments if anyone else had posted this?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
These are my favorite MPs so far. I've got 4 of them with #2 to #3 chambers and also with the chambers opened up by myself on a mill to about #3-1/2. Opening up a steel MP with a fat sounding chamber is a sweet combo. I use a .120 tip opening for practice and quiet gigs. A .130" tip for loud gigs with amps etc.

View attachment 249834

The Brancher lig is also my favorite - it holds the reed more securely than other ligs. The silicone pad is more comfortable than hard plastic. I get it with a PSA adhesive from McMaster Carr. Cut them with a razor blade and stick em on. They last about 6 months or so until the adhesive starts to give but are easy to replace.

The brass spacer glued on top of the MP takes up slack between the lig and the reed because the Brancher lig doesn't fit without it.

View attachment 249836

Another plus with steel MPs is their durability. They don't seem to wear. You can even throw one at your late to a gig bassist and it will just bounce off undamaged.

Jim, you and I must play with the same bass players!!!!!
I’ll get to a gig where we are supposed to hit at 8 o’clock, and the bass player will show up at 7:55, take off his jacket, take the bass out of the gig bag and plug it in with a minute to spare. Happens all the time.
Technically not late, but when you book the gig, it is uncomfortably close!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jim schmidt, care to share the McMaster Carr product numbers?
Silicone to replace the plastic tooth pad.

Its been too long and I lost track of the part number and McMaster Carr may have changed anyway. I'm using harder silicone because it doesn't wear much. And with PSA adhesive. Thickness is about 1mm. 1/16" thick might work out better depending on how deep the recess is for the plastic. Can't seem to find it on their site now. So you might want to call them or do a google search.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
I’ll get to a gig where we are supposed to hit at 8 o’clock, and the bass player will show up at 7:55, take off his jacket, take the bass out of the gig bag and plug it in with a minute to spare. Happens all the time.
Technically not late, but when you book the gig, it is uncomfortably close!!!
Yeah, it's especially stressful when at 7:50 you're wondering where the hell he is! Bass players almost always seem to be the last person to arrive...

No comment on the Berg since I don't know enough about them. It does seem reasonable that lowering the baffle like that would darken the tone though.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Do you just use a modern .120 or .130 berg and mill out the chamber a bit? Do you have any in-process photos?

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
It does seem reasonable that lowering the baffle like that would darken the tone though.
JL, it doesn't look like Jim lowered the baffle (the first part behind the tip). I think he opened up the chamber by cutting the sidewalls a bit further and by lowering the slope into the chamber from the area just behind the Berg /2 baffle. So that should not make the mouthpiece much darker, but just give a more full tune with slightly less grit (what Bergs normally have a lot). Hopefully Jim can tell a bit more about what he exactly did.

I've always been very curious to Berg /3 mouthpieces with a big tip size (>120), but never found one to try.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
JL, it doesn't look like Jim lowered the baffle (the first part behind the tip). I think he opened up the chamber by cutting the sidewalls a bit further and by lowering the slope into the chamber from the area just behind the Berg /2 baffle.
Got it. Like I said, I'm no expert on Bergs. Photos can be tricky, but in that photo it looks like the baffle has a very small step down into the chamber. That must be what the baffle on a #3 chamber looks like.

p.s. My comment in that post was mostly in agreement with Mark on the late arrival of bass players at the gig :). I thought I should say something about the Berg to stay on topic!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JL, it doesn't look like Jim lowered the baffle (the first part behind the tip). I think he opened up the chamber by cutting the sidewalls a bit further and by lowering the slope into the chamber from the area just behind the Berg /2 baffle. So that should not make the mouthpiece much darker, but just give a more full tune with slightly less grit (what Bergs normally have a lot). Hopefully Jim can tell a bit more about what he exactly did.

I've always been very curious to Berg /3 mouthpieces with a big tip size (>120), but never found one to try.
On a Berg here isn't much material left to remove near the tip. The recess for the plastic tooth guard is too close. So I removed material as close to the tip as I could and cut away at the roof at an angle. At the end of the roof near the large end of the chamber I took about 3/32" off of what was a #3 chamber (Bergs largest I think).

It did indeed make it darker. Basically you give away some top end when you go to a larger chamber and I have #2 and #3 chamber Bergs to compare it to. The custom 3-1/2 is definitely darker. Sometimes I like the projection of a #2 or #3 chamber but I always end up going back to the 3-1/2. Being a steel Berg - the bigger chamber rounds things out.

And yes the chamber is slightly wider near the lig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts