Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
This is my first post. I've been playing alto for the past 7 years, and I really want to get into the soprano. Originally I was going to get the Yamaha YSS-475II, I played it, it was comfortable, sounded great.. but being in Australia, things (including saxes) tend to be on the unusually expensive side, and was looking at paying $2600 for a new one. I had a look around, and there is a shop in Victoria selling a used YSS-61 for $1600. The sax isn't in super condition, there is lacquer coming off, and dents as well (see the attached images). They specify that would need a general service to play top notch. They offer a 100% refund, but seeing as I'd need to pay to get it service, I'd rather not. My question is, would it be wiser to buy the new 475, or get the 61 and have it fixed up?
Thanks
Al

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice SiB, I have looked at the yanis with interest, but have been unable to test them out yet. Unfortunately I live in Australia, and the seller is unwilling to post outside the US, so I won't be able to go for it. The other downside is, that even if I did find a good sax with int. postage, you have to pay outrageous fees for anything over $1000. If I were to buy a sax from overseas, it would have to be pretty good to warrant going through import taxes. In any case, I will probably steer away from the 61.
Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
543 Posts
You could get a new Phil Barone soprano. They sell for around $US1350 to 1400. There is no import duty into Australia, but you may be up for some GST. Even if you had to pay GST on the whole amount it would only add about $140. Then there is postage. I bought a tenor from him, and I have never looked back.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Alex,

Your best bet is to buy online, either used on eBay, or from a dealer internationally.
Buying saxophones in Australia can literally cost you thousands more than buying from the US or Europe.

I know it isn't idea, because you won't get the chance to play before you buy, but that's just the way it is.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I have bought an alto and a tenor from Phil Barone - fabulous horns. My friend in Bairnsdale has a curved soprano. I can vouch that from the time of your first email to Phil you could be playing your sax within two weeks. There is no duty and GST only applies for items over $1000. Phil declares the value at around $800 and so far I've not had to pay GST either. Postage is around $100US.

That's my recommendation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wonder if the Aussie prices are as bad as they seem. I know this is for an Alto, but a quick search on Yani A901 prices in the US shows http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerLeblanc/A901/a901.htm and a price of $2429. List price at the local (Gold Coast) dealer is $2690, though I got mine for around the same as the US price. I don't know how that applies to Sops. It might be worth looking around at Aus prices more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys with the australian perspective. I have emailed phil, seems like a great option for a first soprano. @pat, did you have to ask him about reducing the declaration value, or did he just do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How are the barones against the 475? I very much liked the 475, so you can understand my uncertainty of buying a horn I've never played to save a few dollars. Is there a noticeable difference between the two?

·
1,706 Posts
Thanks guys with the australian perspective. I have emailed phil, seems like a great option for a first soprano. @pat, did you have to ask him about reducing the declaration value, or did he just do it?
Thanks
Phil just did it. I was perfectly willing to pay the 10% GST - but the matter never came up. Phil knows a thing or two about posting saxophones to Australia!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
I bought a Soprano from Phil and it's great. Arrived in 8 days.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Doing so would probably be illegal under the customs act.
Just curious. So if you asked Phil to underdeclare the item, it would be illegal, but if he did it on his own, then it would be okay?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just curious. So if you asked Phil to underdeclare the item, it would be illegal, but if he did it on his own, then it would be okay?
All I can say is that the sender declares the value for customs purposes. How he arrives at that value the buyer in most cases doesn't know. If the value look sreasonable, the customs people will accept it.

·
1,706 Posts
I dunno - I just went with the flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts