Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, my horn sucks so im looking to get a new setup. I play alto. I love stan getz, lester young, charlie parker, paul desmond. im lookin for kind of a dark sound. im thinking of getting a p. mauriat PMSA-67 or a YAS62II or a Yag A901

my current mouthpiece is a selmer C* and i use vandorren reads. i play mainly jazz.

Budget = 1700 or less

any advice?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Get a Yana 901 with a Meyer 6M and try some reeds!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
The horn does not Suck first of all, I am guessing the number is around a YAS-23 or less. Great begginer horn. If you must upgrade I agree with Silvin. What is your playing expierence though?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,358 Posts
I agree with Silvin - the Yanagisawa A901 is a really nice horn and the price of a new one is about in your budget-range.

Mouthpieces? Too subjective for me to make a recommendation.

Every Yamaha YAS23 (or equivalent Yamaha) has been very bright when I played them. Maybe a mouthpiece change would tone it down some, but if you are set on a new saxophone, I'd choose Yanagisawa over all the others, especially at that price. DAVE

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
I'd choose Yanagisawa over all the others, especially at that price.
Ah Dave come on. You know Yanagisawas are, well - bland. :twisted:

(don't fret JrSax, it's just an inside joke)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hey, stop blaming the equipment.......your sax is sounding bad.....your mouthpiece is not right.....your reeds aren't working properly. All of this is rubbish...it is because we're not progressing as fast as we like or not playing as well as we'd want to. Trust me if you spent as much time practicing as you do swopping equipment and all the getting used to that that takes....you would get to be as good as you want to be.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i practice 1-3 hours everyday its just there are always leaky pads, and loose screws and unresponsive notes, an im tired of it

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
in that case sorry for being a righteous son of a bitch. Go try as many horns as you can within your budget. For that money there are also some great vintage saxes ...try some Martins and Conns. A good sax tech can set them up as well as any modern horn.

·
Registered
552 Posts
selmer said:
Hey, stop blaming the equipment.......your sax is sounding bad.....your mouthpiece is not right.....your reeds aren't working properly. All of this is rubbish...it is because we're not progressing as fast as we like or not playing as well as we'd want to. Trust me if you spent as much time practicing as you do swopping equipment and all the getting used to that that takes....you would get to be as good as you want to be.
you know , some people actually do have bad horns ... especially when it's a yamaha .

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
selmer said:
For that money there are also some great vintage saxes ...try some Martins and Conns. A good sax tech can set them up as well as any modern horn.
If you look into "vintage" saxes, I would cast a vote, from personal experience, for a Conn 6M Lady Face. I believe you can find one in your budget and they are just wonderful horns. It would have darker tendencies than the Yamaha you are used to playing, the ergos are pretty good and the sound is very flexible and wonderful. Just make sure you try before you buy because on some the intonation may be more than you really want to deal with.

jmm1713 said:
* you know , some people actually do have bad horns ... **especially when it's a yamaha .
*yes
**no, not "especially yamahas"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
selmer said:
in that case sorry for being a righteous son of a bitch. Go try as many horns as you can within your budget. For that money there are also some great vintage saxes ...try some Martins and Conns. A good sax tech can set them up as well as any modern horn.
its ok haha i know a lot of people that dont practice their instruments then blame their lack of ability on bad equipment. no offense taken.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also about repairing my horn and getting a tenor.

i have always wanted to play tenor but i am young and dont have so much money plus knowing my parents they would say stick with alto once you master that we'll see about a tenor. (even though tenor and alto are the same fingering)

P.S Where can i find places to try vintage horns?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts