Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the largest selection of new Selmers in stock currently? I travel with a band and, and having played a few friend's horns, would really like to try a cross section of their work. Just doesn't seem like even great shops are carrying the brand...if anyone has insight into a pro shop or atelier that would be great too. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks so much!
Best,
Max

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,573 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Not really sure where your travels take you, but you could try calling PM Woodwind, Saxquest, and Tenor Madness to see what they have in stock. I doubt very many retailers stock more than a couple Selmer Paris horns. A full line would be a lot of overhead.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,428 Posts
Vanadiel: I did that years ago. My wife and I were warmly greeted by Jerome Selmer, and then allowed to test a variety of Selmer-Paris instruments, including sopranos and clarinets. Actual purchases were not allowed there, however (at least then - 1985) but we were given the address of a local dealer who could arrange a sale. DAVE

·
Registered
786 Posts
Vanadiel: I did that years ago. My wife and I were warmly greeted by Jerome Selmer, and then allowed to test a variety of Selmer-Paris instruments, including sopranos and clarinets. Actual purchases were not allowed there, however (at least then - 1985) but we were given the address of a local dealer who could arrange a sale. DAVE
If you plan to go to France any time soon, that sounds like a fun afternoon. Tenor Madness once offered to arrange a trip to the Selmer US distribution facility to test necks. I could have picked my favorite and then I could have purchased it from Tenor Madness. This was only a few years ago so it is probably still possible.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center right outside of DC. Though I have not been there recently, they used to have several horns of each model that you could try out. However, considering the sky high prices of the new Selmer horns, I'm not sure if they will have as many as they used to. Give them a call and they'll be able to tell you what all they have in stock.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,412 Posts
The Selmer France Paris showroom is an excellent place to try things but the shops in Paris or France in general are not exactly the cheapest place to buy anything mande in France.

If you know what you want and maybe get in touch with them ahead of time, David Crane the owner of Matthews in the Netherlands (he is American ) I am sure would be able to provide you with any Selmer that you may wish to purchase at a better price than any shop in France.

Look the prices up

https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/en/selmer/

this link is specific for tenors.

https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/en/saxophone/tenor-saxophone.html?brands=selmer

Of course if you buy secondhand you buy at much better prices

Remember that if you are not an European resident you don’t pay the VAT ( Value Added Tax)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
The last time I saw a complete array of new Selmers it was at a JEN convention. There were all the Saxquests, Tenor Madnesses, Mauriet, Antigua, etc. and in the middle was a Selmer dealer. I swear the booth had a halo around it. They had every model in every finish from soprano to bari.
I actually felt sorry for the dealers with their old beat up MarkVIs with mis-matched necks and their pitiful little Chinese saxes with their fake antique finishes and their little companies name laser engraved on the bell.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,

you can also arrange a meeting at ADAMS in Ittervort (close to Roermond) in the Netherlands. They also have a couple of Selmers in stock

BR
Juergen

·
41,412 Posts
well, yes, but if would take some serious commitment to travel to Ittervoort from Amsterdam it is 169Km away and (including traffic 2h drive each way and once you are there there isn’t much to see).

Adams has probably one of the largest showrooms in the Netherlands (and highest prices too) but it is very far away for someone having limited time.

As for Selmer in the Netherlands, of course B.I.N. is the importer and they have more of a chance to have things there than anyone else.

Blaasinstrumenten Import Nederland BV
Timmerfabriekstraat 5
2861 GW Bergambacht
Nederland
T |(+31)(0)182-644000
E | [email protected]

Aad Contze (say hello, he knows me) is the owner and will help you but probably the best price is at Matthews in Edam (you can get the bus from Amsrerdam to Edam and combine your visit with the village of Edam, charming, and the neighboring Volendam and Marken.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,428 Posts
My wife and I did exactly that two years ago . . . took a bus from Amsterdam to Edam and had a wonderful visit at Matthews Musiek with David Crane and his associate. The store is not large but upstairs he had an interesting selection of saxophones and clarinets, not necessarily on display. Most of what I saw and played were in cases.

I didn't feel bad about NOT buying anything that day because I've purchased several instruments from him over time. Edam is not too far from central Amsterdam and a walk through the town is fun. DAVE

·
41,412 Posts
There are few shops in and around town and no shop has much stock on display ( compared to some that is).

Matthews is an operatin which functions at a local level as a small physical shop but on line sell quite a bit of stock, mostly new.

They are one of the few quality shops when it comes to flutes and havce people coming for very far to buy stuff there. David Crane was a pro flutist himself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts