Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the main differences between the vintage Selmer Soloists and the new Selmer Soloists is, besides the price and that funky look of old HR pieces.

Anyone play them both, or especially side-by-side?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I can't answer your question because I haven't tried the new ones, however, I do use the long shank version of the old ones on alto. They are not expensive ($60 to $80 for an original C*, more dinero for bigger tips) and there are a lot of them around.

·
Banned
271 Posts
I played on the original Selmer Soloist C* tenor mouthpiece in the mid 60's. It was a great mouthpiece, and had the name Soloist on the table of the mouthpiece. After many years I purchased the new Selmer Soloist with the name Soloist printed on the side. I find it also an excellent mouthpiece. It has been my experience that the player adjusts to the mouthpiece and ends up sounding like himself over time.

Comparing the two from memory, I would say it's a tie. I am glad Selmer reissued it because mouthpieces do deteriorate over time, bite marks get embedded deeply if used often, and having a fresh mouthpiece was a great decision by Selmer. They both get 5 stars.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Vintage ones have more baffle generally, and some of the earlier ones had a slightly larger chamber.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
The short shank soloists (on table) came in three different chamber sizes.

One looks like a brilhart ebolin, the next was a smaller horseshoe shape, and the last is identical to the long shank soloist (on table)... The last short shank and the first long shanks also have the same beak, more rounded as opposed to the first ones (which are higher), and the soloist "style" pieces have a parting line on the beak just before it gets to the barrel. I haven't noticed much difference in regards to baffles, because all of those Selmer pieces were extremely inconsistant (thanks Ralph Morgan!!!).

But to answer the question - "wisco" is on the money. Players adjust, and there were just as many dogs back then as there are today. Mass production...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts