Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Kessler posted two mystery photos of a new horn to be publicly announced by Selmer on the 14th. Dave confirms it is a tenor.

My speculation is it will be an Axos tenor, introduced about six years after the brand launch alto.

I had an Axos alto for my first horn as an adult beginner. I knew nothing and couldn't play, and traded it for a Ref 54 because I thought that was a "jazz" horn. In retrospect, the Axos was a pretty darned good instrument. But $3K+ for a student/intermediate/non-pro marketed horn when, say, the new Conn-Selmer Better Sax is $650? I suppose C-S gets school and university contracts, but what individual consumer would find that a great value?

Any guesses on the street price if this is an Axos tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,175 Posts
interesting that the picture shows a tarnished rod...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,155 Posts
I don't think that's tarnish, it's a special sound enhancing finish applied to specific areas which recent research has shown to help balance the nodes. It's a well known scientifically proveable fact that the exact amount of fake tarnish must be applied to exactly the right area.

·
39,175 Posts
Hello Pete (welcome back from Antartica!) sorry, I wasn’t aware of these new developments , In my old fashioned mind of professional photographer I just saw an imprerfection (actually two or even three, because the other distal portion also shows tarnish and if my eye isn’t tricked by reflections the first part of the rod looks also slightly bent compared to the other rod running (or that should be running) parallel to it.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
709 Posts
The photographer clearly wasn't wearing white gloves when he handled the horn.

Reactions: CliveMA

·
39,175 Posts
That may be for some other imperfections (also visible) but that on the rods is more than grime, again, that rod is bent

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,573 Posts
Olaf; What are you getting?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think that's tarnish, it's a special sound enhancing finish applied to specific areas which recent research has shown to help balance the nodes. It's a well known scientifically proveable fact that the exact amount of fake tarnish must be applied to exactly the right area.
Will the special finish cost more? Or is it standard on this new range?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,060 Posts
Am I the only person who feels an impulse to flood their inbox, asking if the shipped product will also include bent and tarnished rods?

Where did you find that photo, anyway??

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really need to sell my Reference 36, rods clearly does not looks as tarnished as this picture, I guess that explain why my altissimo range is limited.

·
39,175 Posts
Well you can't expect a Selmer to be perfect from factory. That's what techs are for 😇
With hindsight , this thread may not be announcing a new model but just saying that OP has bought a new horn, I don’t know

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm sure the picture only shows the newest innovations by Selmer that not only drive the prices up, but also make the instrument "modeled after the venerated VI."

·
Registered
31 Posts
With hindsight , this thread may not be announcing a new model but just saying that OP has bought a new horn, I don’t know
Unfortunately, Selmer is waaay beyond my budget range :D. No, it's not my new horn. It is a new Selmer tenor model. I thought this info could be interesting to you all, because it is... well... saxophone forum 🙃.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do we want to take bets on what it will come in at MSRP and then street?
I'm betting 9K MSRP 8K street?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,231 Posts
Well that was exciting...

·
39,175 Posts
wel, they should be more careful with what picture they use even in the other picture is obvious that the Eb C arrangement is slightly out of alignement which would make sense seen the close up.

Did anyone notice my thread on Selmer Buying back older instruments (whether theirs or others is not yet clear)
https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/selmer-buys-old-instruments-back.381323/#post-4252091

1 - 20 of 124 Posts