Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are looking to play in the David Sanborn vibe may I suggest the new Saxworks piece that was done as a joint effort with CE winds and Joel Harrison. This MP is based off the one Joel made for David Sanborn. Nothing has got me closer and I’ve tried them all. It is rich in harmonics and resonance. It has the perfect amount of back pressure that when you push against it produces an edgy tone. All of which gets you that Sanborn edge. The material has the feel and sound of silverite but has been developed to be far more durable. I’m getting nothing for plugging this piece I’m just a happy customer sharing his good fortune. The finish work is amazing. It does not come with a bite pad. The one in my picture is one I custom fit to it. Check it out at https://sax.works or at https://www.cewinds.com

View attachment 188570

View attachment 188578

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
If you are looking to play in the David Sanborn vibe may I suggest the new Saxworks piece that was done as a joint effort with CE winds and Joel Harrison. This MP is based off the one Joel made for David Sanborn. Nothing has got me closer and I’ve tried them all. It is rich in harmonics and resonance. It has the perfect amount of back pressure that when you push against it produces an edgy tone. All of which gets you that Sanborn edge. The material has the feel and sound of silverite but has been developed to be far more durable. I’m getting nothing for plugging this piece I’m just a happy customer sharing his good fortune. The finish work is amazing. It does not come with a bite pad. The one in my picture is one I custom fit to it. Check it out at https://sax.works or at https://www.cewinds.com
"The high performance design of our mouthpiece evolves directly from the best mouthpieces we have made since the nineties. Rather than being cast from hot metal our mouthpieces are molded by our partner CE Winds with the mixture of a very fine metal powder in a liquid plastic binder which is slowly cured. The metal powder uses the same alloy used in our earlier mouthpieces. It plays like a great soft metal mouthpiece but is very durable much like vintage hard rubber."

Finally! Now it all makes sense. I don't recall CE Winds ever sharing their process before. I have never had one of their pieces and was wondering how it was made.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
They look like metal in the photos. Usually one can tell when a mouthpiece is made out of resin with metal powder in it. Brassite, etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This really interests me. It’d be great if someone can post a clip. It’s just a shame that it only comes in a size 8, although I realise that an 8 tip opening would be more inclined to produce a Sanborn sound than a larger tip like I prefer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
"The high performance design of our mouthpiece evolves directly from the best mouthpieces we have made since the nineties. Rather than being cast from hot metal our mouthpieces are molded by our partner CE Winds with the mixture of a very fine metal powder in a liquid plastic binder which is slowly cured. The metal powder uses the same alloy used in our earlier mouthpieces. It plays like a great soft metal mouthpiece but is very durable much like vintage hard rubber."

Finally! Now it all makes sense. I don't recall CE Winds ever sharing their process before. I have never had one of their pieces and was wondering how it was made.
We've been unmasked, lol.

We have shared the process, but Joel had a way of just cutting through the BS and getting to the point, particularly with the piece we are making for him.

Makes us feel special that you even spent a morsel of your time thinking about us and our process. Maybe one day you can try a few of our pieces out. Maybe.

·
Registered
785 Posts
They look like metal in the photos. Usually one can tell when a mouthpiece is made out of resin with metal powder in it. Brassite, etc.
This one really feels like metal too - it is actually the highest percentage metal piece we have ever made. It really reacts to the environment well, similar to metal.

And it's very durable.

·
Registered
785 Posts
This really interests me. It’d be great if someone can post a clip. It’s just a shame that it only comes in a size 8, although I realise that an 8 tip opening would be more inclined to produce a Sanborn sound than a larger tip like I prefer.
This is a clip of the first production run we made:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Also, depending on demand, we may be releasing some other sizes, and models. That is up to Joel.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks so much for posting the clip. To be honest, I can’t hear Sanborn at all BUT this player does have a great sound.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks so much for posting the clip. To be honest, I can’t hear Sanborn at all BUT this player does have a great sound.
When Charles posted that video on FaceBook he stated that the Sanborn sound is not the sound he goes for. It's just a clip of him playing it, that's all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts