Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I started sax about four months ago and am really, really enjoying it. However I think it is safe to say that I am still a complete noob. I am looking to purchase a new saxophone though, as I have been borrowing my friend's Yamaha 62. I like to play a lot of music but the few things that I will not be playing are R & B, Classic and smooth jazz. I absolutely despise those genres (with many notable exceptions of course). I would also like to point out that my primary instruments are guitar and piano. I can spend up to 1,400 bucks. I've been told to get a vintage conn by somebody, don't know how good of a decision this is.

Thanks everybody!

Derek

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,337 Posts
If you like the Yamaha, get a Yamaha.
Vintage Conns are nice, but the pinkey keys can be hard to get used to.
I would suggest checking out the selections in your price range at a few music shops.
Find what feels good in your hands, sounds good to your ears, and go from there.
Take your buddy along to help you.
Having another player with you to try the horn and be a second pair of ears is a good idea when purchasing your first horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
With only four month's playing behind you, I would strongly advise you to wait.
With all respect, you do not yet have enough experience to really know what you want.
Wait until your tone develops & you will be in a better decision to decide.

You may well make a decision that you will later regret.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, and I think that you are correct in saying that I don't know what I really want yet but I am borrowing this saxophone and school ends tomorrow and he has told me that I can not continue to borrow it in the summertime. So I just need a saxophone soon. And thank you, I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow it would have been nice to start on a yas 62. I got a hand me/hand me/hand me down yas-23 to learn on.

I think what captain beeflat said is a wise choice. Look into renting one from a local music store in the area before you make a 1400$ purchase. Good luck with your sax journey!

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you need one in a pinch, check out pawnshops.. you'd be surprised what you'd find there, and there's always cheap vintage horns in the shops near me. something for $200 can help keep you playing through until you've found your $1400 axe.

take your friend with you, that way an experienced set of eyes can tell you what to avoid. And if you can't, take note of the models and makes and reference this site for info on them. plus ALWAY low-ball the shop keep, most likely they have no clue what it is other than "saxophone with brandX".

·
Registered
606 Posts
You cant go wrong with a Yamaha YS-23 from a pawnshop or ebay in the $200-$600 range. That will let you develop, and you can knock back some extra green stamps to upgrade later when you want to. Bear in mind that pros sometimes use 23's as back up horns to gig on. When the time comes to upgrade from the 23, Bandmommy's advice is spot on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
A Yamaha 62 can be had for 1400 to 1500. This is a solid, great playing sax that will allow you to grow as a player. After you gain experience you will be able to keep the sax or sell it for something you like more. The Yamaha's have good resale value.

The YTS 23 as mentioned above will do the job too. Great sax less dollars. Either way you get a great player

HUTMO

·
4,022 Posts
With only four month's playing behind you, I would strongly advise you to wait.
With all respect, you do not yet have enough experience to really know what you want.
Wait until your tone develops & you will be in a better decision to decide.

You may well make a decision that you will later regret.
That said, if you can find a used YAS-52 (or 32) at a reasonable price and in reasonable condition, you won't regret it. Selling it later should be no problem at all, if you decide to go in another direction. It will also feel completely familiar, as the 52 is very similar to the 62. It just comes with the student neck (which you can upgrade later if you are so inclined), no engraving, and the bell section is not annealed (the value of which is debatable).

·
6,715 Posts
That said, if you can find a used YAS-52 (or 32) at a reasonable price and in reasonable condition, you won't regret it. Selling it later should be no problem at all, if you decide to go in another direction. It will also feel completely familiar, as the 52 is very similar to the 62. It just comes with the student neck (which you can upgrade later if you are so inclined), no engraving, and the bell section is not annealed (the value of which is debatable).
Difficult to disagree with that....sound advice.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A Phil Barone classic will cost less than any new Yamaha and will outplay most, if not all of them.

You might want to look at used YAS-62's or 52's on eBay, they are well built and you'll be familiar with them.

Here's Phil's site: http://philbarone.com/ and be sure to give him a call if you are interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts