Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing on a YAS-23 with a Selmer S80 C* mouthpeice right now, but I'm about to get a YAS-475. I like my tone right now, but I want it to be a bit darker. So should I keep this mouthpeice or play on the 475 stock (which I believe is a 4C)?
Thanks.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Keep the selmer.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
I believe that the 4C is a slightly smaller tip. I have a 5C that came with my baritone sax, and it seems to feel similar to a C*. Someone else may have more direct knowledge.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
hakukani said:
Keep the selmer.
Keep 'em both.

IMO, there's no real value added by getting the 475 and a new mpc. If I were you, I'd play more, get more proficiency and be saving up for a YAS 62 (or better yet if you're looking to darken the tone but sticking with Yamahas, an 875). You'll get more bang-for-the buck.

Also, you didn't say what reeds you're using. If you're not playing them now, I would recommend your trying Vandoren traditional blue box #3 or Hemkes, in that order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm playing blue box 3s.
I think I might take your advice and save up for a YAS 62.

·
Registered
200 Posts
keep the selmer cause its really good (idk the 4c made me really sharp)

i do like the tone on the low notes for the 4c though there is easier control on there so it sounds calmer

if you want a darker sound you culd get a rovner ligature (although i dont recommend it)

rovner makes your tone darker but it constricts it as well as ive come to find

i havent looked too much into ligatures but i can say do not get a silver one because it will just brighten your tone
i really dont know how much the mouthpiece matters but the c* is very good........so i would just keep using it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts