Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a fairly new Selmer Serie III replacing my Serie I that I had for about 20 years. I'm having problems with the altissimo G3 on the new sax. I could always play it on the old sax althought it was the weakest altissimo note I would play. I use the same fingerings and the same mouthpieces as with the Series I: a Ponzol M2, a Berg 130/0, and sometimes a Dukoff D7. I don't play alot of altissimo, usually to F4, but not being able to get the first G 90% of the time is frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
DanF said:
I recently acquired a fairly new Selmer Serie III replacing my Serie I that I had for about 20 years. I'm having problems with the altissimo G3 on the new sax. I could always play it on the old sax althought it was the weakest altissimo note I would play. I use the same fingerings and the same mouthpieces as with the Series I: a Ponzol M2, a Berg 130/0, and sometimes a Dukoff D7. I don't play alot of altissimo, usually to F4, but not being able to get the first G 90% of the time is frustrating. What am I doing wrong?
What fingering are you using?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hakukani said:
What fingering are you using?
I've used several fingerings with my Serie I. The best success was with the front F and side F# key. Also tried just the front F. And have tried the b,g and f keys and side F# open. Of course all with the octave key.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
try LH 1 (b) and side B flat and F# key and octave key

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
for alto try front F, RH1, high F# and octave key.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Maybe your altissimo can improve a little more if you stuck with only one mouthpiece...they all seem bright pick one you like that plays well and stick with it for awhile...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CountSpatula said:
Maybe your altissimo can improve a little more if you stuck with only one mouthpiece...they all seem bright pick one you like that plays well and stick with it for awhile...
Yes, I agree. I was only pointing out that I use high baffle mouthpieces. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
saxxsymbol said:
for alto try front F, RH1, high F# and octave key.
I think that's the "ticket" saxxsymbol. Easy go to and a clear, strong, and in tune note. Thank you so much. Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts