Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but couldn’t find, can someone highlight the tonal differences (and perhaps ergonomic differences) of the NEW SA80 Series II Vs. Series III Vs. Ref 54?

I had the opportunity to play test the SA80 Series II today LOVED it, not not the other two. Wondering what you all note as differences.

Any insights appreciated.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've owned a Series II, Series III and a ref 36, but not a ref54. Coming from a leaky Martin and the a Jupiter, the SeriesII was fantastic. Then I liked it even more with a series III neck; better angle and focus, and the combination my teacher has used for years. So then I got a Series III, which had more comfortable ergonomics (more like a Yamaha, with higher palm keys). I liked it better, seemed more responsive and with a more focused core, so the series II was sold. The series III was sold to finance some other horn once I had a Mark VI. I liked my ref 36 pretty well, but traded it for another Mark VI I liked much better. I'd like to try more of those 36s as mine was set up with soft pads and just all around seemed a bit dead.

The main thing is that they are only as good aa they are set up, and even then the vary quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Tried to search but couldn’t find, can someone highlight the tonal differences (and perhaps ergonomic differences) of the NEW SA80 Series II Vs. Series III Vs. Ref 54?

I had the opportunity to play test the SA80 Series II today LOVED it, not not the other two. Wondering what you all note as differences.

Any insights appreciated.
I would think the best way to find out is to find out for yourself, personally. Take a trip to USA Horn in NJ and try them, side by side.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
They upgraded the production with the Jubilee series.

According to how much they have been used and/or manteined... it's related to a single instrument.

Pre Jubilee instruments are different from the Jubilee instrument.
They changed things which are not so visible but pretty sustantial.

The goals, at Selmer, were to gain consistance, improving the quality and reducing the production costs.
They succeded, as usual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts