Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have barely even played it, took it to my tech after less than an hour of playing, seems possibly competitive, tonally, with my Martin Comm III. Which is saying something...

Series VI, lemme see if I can get some pics going... OK Well here's the craigslist link which will expire, by which time maybe I'll have the horn back and take my own pics...

Anyway, got it for $2800 and the seller drove 2 1/2 hours to deliver it. Hard to complain:)

About all I can say so far:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Yep that link has expired.
I have a series III tenor.
It's about as good as it gets for ergonomics AFAIC.
Congratulations I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it too...I play a Series III alto and tenor, these horns are tone monsters! Fo sho!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's a great looking horn. When I got mine, it was a life-changing experience, hope it's the same for you. A Martin Com III has long been on my wishlist; my old bandmate had a "The Music Man" that could move continents with sound. What a killer duo you have!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great looking horn. When I got mine, it was a life-changing experience, hope it's the same for you. A Martin Com III has long been on my wishlist; my old bandmate had a "The Music Man" that could move continents with sound. What a killer duo you have!
Thanks:) The Comm III is a formidable horn. I'm now wanting to add more horns, specifically Comm III and S20 altos, or maybe jump back a generation to Handcraft and Zephyr or ZS. Sold a bari recently and if I can sell my B&S then I might swing it plus an S20 bari to stare at my Comm III bari:) I might have to put restraints on them when I'm not there... :)

Well sometimes dreams come true, one never knows...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Should you ever start to notice a problem voicing middle D, it's because your secondary (body) octave pad is sticking. Should that ever start to happen, replace the leather pad with a cork pad.

Just a bit of foreshadowing for down the road.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations! It is beautiful. What does it sound like compared to the Comm III?
I think I'll need to record it to know for sure. But my impression behind the horn is just a bit brighter, not quite as hard hitting on the bottom but still great, and overall it seems right in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should you ever start to notice a problem voicing middle D, it's because your secondary (body) octave pad is sticking. Should that ever start to happen, replace the leather pad with a cork pad.

Just a bit of foreshadowing for down the road.
I shall watch for that - thanks!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang, took this thing to a bar gig last night and it did not disappoint. Got a lot of compliments. The combination of light weight and superb action lent greatly to a sense of the horn "disappearing". Was not my plan really to use this horn for bar gigs but it definitely was at home. Quite impressed, didn't really think any horn could come close to unseating my Comm III.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts