Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I just received a new Runyon metal alto mouthpiece from wwbw and noticed immediately that the chrome(/nickel?) finish is slightly chipped at the base opening that slides onto the neck. I was just going to ignore it, however after trying the piece out the first time, I noticed after taking it off the neck that a bit more of the finish had flaked off. Should I seek an exchange on this one, or am I safe from any interference in tone, sound and what have you? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
calisax said:
Hey everybody,

I just received a new Runyon metal alto mouthpiece from wwbw and noticed immediately that the chrome(/nickel?) finish is slightly chipped at the base opening that slides onto the neck. I was just going to ignore it, however after trying the piece out the first time, I noticed after taking it off the neck that a bit more of the finish had flaked off. Should I seek an exchange on this one, or am I safe from any interference in tone, sound and what have you? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
so... no thoughts? :|

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,987 Posts
Sure.

There are no issues regarding "tone, sound, and what have you" but, given that you paid retail for a new mouthpiece, I'd send it back if you are still in the trial period.

On the other hand, most of my best mouthpieces have some cosmetic flaws. If it plays well and the cosmetics are not an issue, keep it.

On yet the third hand, I'm guessing that if cosmetic issues were no concern, you would not have posed the question.

Does that cover all the possibilities? ;)

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sir! Thanks. Just needed a second opinion to make sure that I wasn't being unreasonable - I am a bit picky when I pay retail for a new mouthpiece. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I have a similar issue with the metal Smoothbore I ordered from them about 4 years ago. You can see some brass at the same spot you mentioned. The piece plays well and it wasn't an issue with me. If it bothers you, send it back and try another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts