Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to save a sax that has been in the water for long time.
Everything is in good condition, except for all the ferrous parts (screw, rods, springs) that have been "dissolved" (90% now is pure rust).
Is possible to rebuild a complete set of rods for my instrument?
Thanks
Stefano

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
If it's a model that's still being made then it should be possible to get a set of them.

If it's a discontinued or old instrument, then you'll have to either adapt and fit a new set by cutting them to their correct lengths, reaming out the key barrels and pillar holes in order for them to fit if they are oversize and retap the threads in the pillars (if necessary).

Or make them from scratch which is probably easier to do if you have the equipment to do this and can get either silver steel or stainless steel of the diameter you require (best getting steel that's been ground to a specific diameter) and cutting the threads on them with a die (and tapping the pillars with the equivalent tap if you need to).

You can make a barrel and pillar reamer from a piece of the same diameter steel (file a flat half the thickness of the steel along 25mm of one end then polish it, sharpen the edges and harden and temper it so it cuts) and then once used to do the key barrels and pillars, use the remaining length of this reamer cut to lengths for some of the shorter screws once that is all done.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
I would second the make your own option. If your doing it yourself then an assumption is made you have the hand skills and or knowledge to do it. You can buy drill rod from places like JL Smith online, thread cutting tools can be gleaned from local tool shops or again online from places like votaw

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Or take it to a tech (around here they will charge about $10usd per long rod, $5usd per short rod....) and save yourself the headache. Sure you can get drill rods in a lotta places, but that isn't even 1/4 of the job....

Techs have rods in all diameters and they should have all the threading and slot-cutting tools needed to make you a set in about an hour or so.....they just need the horn, and maybe the keys.

Underwater ? Da vero ?

Madonna !!!!

Are you sure it's worth saving ??????

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Say 18 rods (including rollers) in an hour?
Precision fitted, without looseness or any binding, and without shoulder-end-of-thread burs?

For me, no way!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts