Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a regular morning practice session that has become very productive. I focus on tenor and rotate 4 or 5 reeds. I tend to hang on to reeds TOO long so today I started working in new reeds. Practice became extremely unfocused because the horn wasn't responding. Then I start to talk to myself, "Is it me?" "I sound terrible" "After 20 years I still can play this stupid instrument." "I must have something terribly wrong with me because EVERYONE else plays so easily" - Then fingers slow down and articulation starts to become unclear. It's a mental meltdown - OVER A NEW REED.

Clearly I'm exaggerating. It does mess with my head and today's practice was NOT productive and/or a confidence builder.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,791 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,791 Posts
The other thing..........I don't know if this is you but if you hold on to reeds to long they get softer and softer. I've had students rotating the same 5 reeds for a year. By the end, instead of playing 3's they are probably playing on the equivalent of a 2. Then they get a new box of 3's and wonder why the reeds are so hard to blow. It's because they are so used to the run down 2's they have been playing and their breath support is not used to blowing like they need to. Not saying this is you but just thought I'd mention it in case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
the reed hardness changing thing is indeed a very wise thing to consider and a good reason to be on a shorter reed rotation scheme. I too have noticed that as soon as I play on a difficult reed my entire playing seems to suffer as if that difficulty sucks up any other ability (speed, articulation and things like that)

·
Banned
49 Posts
I hate to admit it in public but this is exactly why I switched to Fibercell reeds. No, they are not quite as sweet as cane but the stability and utility, for me, far overshadow the very slight loss in tone.

Please don't tell my mother,
SG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I hate to admit it in public but this is exactly why I switched to Fibercell reeds. No, they are not quite as sweet as cane but the stability and utility, for me, far overshadow the very slight loss in tone.

Please don't tell my mother,
SG
Fibracells, in my experience, suffer the same "softer over time" phenomena.....it just takes longer & therefore comes as more of a surprise. I have just put the phone down after ordering another two.
The indicator for me is that the palm key notes become weak.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Yeah bad reeds are depressing, especially out of the box. One way to overcome the new reed bad trip is to break in a few of them while you keep on playing the ones which are already broken in.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
A Greene, man everyone experiences these kinds of problems with reeds. Sometimes you have to be patient and break them in a bit, or work them a little, or when that doesn't work just toss the damn thing and pull out another one. Then again, after assuming I'd always have to break in reeds, I discovered something similar to Nef:

I've stumbled upon Rigotti Gold reeds and the last 2 months have been a complete joy. I haven't opened one reed that was hard to play. I'm still waiting for a bad one!
Steve, I've been using the Rigottis for a few months now (tenor, 2.5 strong on an RPC 120B) and one of the best things about them is they seem to play very well right out of the box, with little or no breaking-in time. And most of them are great, but I have found a few duds (very few). Some of them play a bit too bright for my taste also, but most are fine. I like the V16s just as much or more, but most of them take considerable time to break in. That can be frustrating, when you need a new reed to play NOW. So I'm sticking with Rigottis for a while.

Anyway, there is no perfect reed brand, although you can ocassionaly find a perfect reed, no matter what brand you use. Enjoy that one while it lasts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not wanting to turn this into a Rigotti thread but I also have been playing Rigottis the last few months and they play well. Not every reed in the box plays perfectly, but most of them play pretty well.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Well, I played Rigottis for a while until I got a bunch of bad boxes in a row. Go figure...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check out the ATG system. Beautifully simple, and I literally haven't played on a reed I wouldn't call either good or excellent since it arrived.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts